Chapter 22

"Sometimes the other voice hurts my feelings a lot!"

"What?"

"Nothing. I'm opening my third. Do you have any objection?" she asked feeling way beyond tipsy.

"I have no objection," he replied sipping his own third one and said, "I love drunk Aami."

"Good! So do I!" she said taking a small sip.

It was past 11pm and this time they were at Amelia's apartment. Being planned suddenly, Jungkook had no time to clean his apartment, he said. In the dimly lit room they sat facing each other and have been drinking for about an hour now, talking about random matters.

"How is it going with that cotton candy of yours?" she asked him suddenly.

"Today she walked out. I don't know if she'll come back," he said not thinking twice, "What about your writing? Any new projects?"

"Two people should never get married if they are not compatible. Are you two compatible? Or do you like her because she is pretty? Or because she is..." Aami paused.

Jungkook sat straight waiting for her to finish her sentence. She continued, "Or because she has some other talent? Or money? She feeds you? Buys you things? You her bitch?"

He laughed at her questions, feeling entertained.

"She isn't that bad. She is just a student. She likes me. Plus, it brings business to the café. You should be thankful I'm contributing to your income."

Aami watched him take a sip from his bottle. She said, "You and the café lady should get married."

A spray of beer fell upon her as Jungkook tried to stifle in a laughter. Wiping his mouth, he started laughing.

"Argh! Jungoo!" she whined wiping off the spilt.

Her whining caused him to fall sideways on the floor. Watching him laugh, she smiled a little. Then she asked, "Do you really like her?"

The question faltered the smile on Jungkook's face a little. Images from their last drink night flashed into his memories. He lay staring at the ceiling.

"I don't know," he said in a low voice.

Turning his head towards her he added, "And you'll be a successful writer someday Aami. I promise you."

Sitting up, he scooted towards her. Looking into her eyes he said, "I have more faith in you than you have in yourself."

She was listening to him with full attention. Her eyes never breaking the connection. Then she said waving her bottle at him, "Why do you do this? Stop it!" she took a mouthful of her beer and swallowed it.

Keeping aside the bottle she hung her head down. Even in the dim light, he could see glistening path of tear being drawn on her cheeks.

"Aami?" he asked feeling concerned. He bent down his head to see her face and she immediately seek shelter behind her palms.

"Keep trying Aami. I know you can do it," he said trying to reassure her. And then she said, "I just dont understand why..."

There was a pause.

"Why, what?" Jungkook asked her when she refused to continue.

He thought maybe she fell asleep while talking. But then her tears had stopped, and she spoke in a serious tone, "Nothing. You can sleep on the couch."

She stood up immediately and walked to her bedroom. He watched her leave in silence. Before she closed the door she said, "Good night Jungoo."

He sat alone in the room staring at the closed door.

What are you hiding Aami?