Chapter 14

Several bottles lay scattered on the floor. Amelia tried over and over to stack them while Jungkook kept disturbing her.

"Jungoo! Don't do that. If I don't do this, we may slip and fall. And die!" she said dramatically, definitely a little drunk.

He snickered at her words and said, "You may slip and fall, not me. I still am far from being drunk. You on the other hand," he paused leaning forward and softly pulling a tiny set of hair above her neck on the back of her head.

"Jungoo! Don't!" she smacked away his hand.

It was a Saturday evening and they decided to spend it in Jungkook's house drinking beer and talking. What started off with just 2 bottles had turned to four, and now six.

"I'll be back," he said standing up.

"Again? Your bladder capacity is too low," pointing at him she said.

Listening to her words, he stood idle, observing her for a few seconds. Then he said, "I'm so glad that we are close enough now to share all these details," and walked to his washroom wobbling all the way. Unfortunately, his sarcasm went unnoticed by her.

She sat on that carpeted floor looking around. She remembered the first time she was in his apartment. Laughing to herself at her own stupidity she reached for her next bottle.

Suddenly it was snatched off her hand.

"I think that's enough for tonight."

Jungkook had returned from the washroom. He grabbed the unopened bottles and walked to his refrigerator.

"You can't tell me how much to drink or not to drink," she mumbled feeling upset like a little kid whose toy was snatched away.

She watched him return to his previous position beside her on the carpet floor.

"Actually, I can, considering I have more experience in drinking than you do."

She just shook her head though she did not feel confident.

"Actually, I have more experience compared to you in a lot of things," he said with a very evil smile.

"The girl in pink?" she asked him, leaning against the sofa behind her. He chuckled and replied, "No. she is just a friend."

"Oh. I thought she liked you," Amelia enquired.

"She does like me. Kind of clingy actually," he continued, "But friends can be clingy. You are also kind of clingy-" he stopped in midway to dodge a pillow she threw at him.

He fell on the floor laughing while she sat upset, her arms crossed across her chest.

Maybe you are clingy. She sighed.

'Maybe I am'.

After his laugh subsided she asked him, "Are you going to ask her out?"

After a few seconds of silence, he replied, "No."

This, for some reason gave her a sense of relief.

She shifted in her seat, head looking for some support.

"I don't like her that way. I don't think I will ever either."

"Why not?" she asked him, "she is pretty, she likes you. You too seem to enjoy her company," she said squirming in her position.

"Yeah I know. But I still don't like her. I don't know why," he looked at her and saw her shifting in her position.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

Amelia made an upset face and said, "Can you pass me that pillow," she pointed at the pillow beside him.

"The one you threw at me like a minute ago?" he raised his eyebrow.

"Yeah that one," she said putting forward her hand and wriggling her fingers.

He laughed and sat upright. Grabbing the pillow, he went and sat beside her. He placed the pillow between her back and the sofa. Finally stopping the squirming, she relaxed. Finding his arm beside her for support, she gently rested her head on his shoulder. He leaned forward and looked at her face. It looked so calm and peaceful, devoid of any worries.

Watching him peer at her, she looked back at him. Suddenly his eyes caught her attention.

And she felt her heartbeat raise a little.

Noticing the sudden change in her expression, he felt a little conscious, and a little lost. His eyes fell from her eyes to her lips.

When she saw his focus shift to her lips, without her consent her eyes did the same. This did not go unnoticed by him.

And then he did what he felt like, at the moment. He started leaning in.

As the distance between them kept on reducing was when she realised what was happening. What he had started, she decided to join in. She too started leaning in.

Eyes closed now, the distance between them decreased as seconds went by. Or was it a tenth of a second? They couldn't tell.

"I did not get in."

Her faint words caught his attention. He opened his eyes and saw that her lips were just a centimeter away. But she had stopped moving towards him.

"What?" he asked still lost in the moment.

She opened her eyes, but did not meet with his own.

"They had called me today. The publishers. They said they will not publish my work."

This is when he regained his sense. He looked into her eyes which were staring on the floor. She sounded too sad. And he did not know what else to say. So he said, "You'll get other opportunities."

She was quiet for a long time until she replied, "Yeah."

Silence filled the room. Just the noise of city cars outside were heard.

"Jungoo..." she called him.

"Hmm?" he hummed in response.

Now she met his eyes and asked, "Why do you not tell me anything about your life?"

He contemplated on these words while she moved away and regained her previous position, resting her head on his shoulder. Then he tapped her cheek softly and said, "Go to sleep Aami. Good night."

She put her arm around his torso and snuggled. Then she mumbled faintly, "Good night Jungoo," before she finally drifted off to sleep.