George Washington x reader

Requested by: ChayanitDuangthong

You grabbed George's hand before he stepped one foot outside the front door.

"Please don't go," you begged with tears in your eyes. George sighed before he turned to you and cupped your cheeks with both of his hands.

"I'm sorry, but I have to. They need me in this war," George replied. He too didn't want to go. He didn't like to leave you at home alone and wondering if he'll ever be back. One tear rolled down your cheek, but you quickly wiped it away as you sniffed. 

"I'm tired of this war! Why can't the brits just leave us alone?" you asked mostly to yourself, but you silently hoped that your husband had the answer.

"I don't know, but I promise you that we will have our freedom," George said with determination in his voice. You smiled as you wiped your cheeks with your sleeves since more tears had escaped your eyes.

"Alright, but come back in one piece for me, yah?" George smiled before kissing your forehead.

"I'll try," he said. You and George exchanged sad goodbyes before he walked out, grabbed his horse, and rode away. You sighed as you watched his horse grow smaller and smaller as it grew farther and farther away. You closed the front door and leaned your back against it as you looked down. Your eyes began to water again, but you blinked your tears away and lifted your head up. 

"I need a cup of tea." You went to the kitchen and heated up some water in the kettle. While the water was boiling, you went upstairs to the bedroom you and George shared. You went to the nightstand and took out a few letters from the drawer before closing it and going back downstairs to the kitchen. You laid the letters on the dining table before pulling out a chair and taking a seat. You read the letters as you waited for the water to boil in the kettle. The letters were written by George from the last time he had to leave. Reading the letters was always comforting for you and it felt as though he was still sitting next to you. You sighed and smiled as your eyes scanned a sentence on one of the letters.

"I love you, too, George."

(Word Count: 384)