Chapter 7: Sign Language Club

2 weeks have gone by so quick like the snap of a finger. It is now the day of Sign Language Club and I'm pretty excited. Not the fact that I'm doing it with River. He's not a bad person it's just... It's complicated. I've grown more used to having him around and gotten more equipped with not having my thoughts and feelings and getting so nervous all the time around him because I really think he is - Okay, I need to calm down. Breathe. In and out. Alright, I think I am good. For now.

As I was saying, I've gotten more used to having him around and gotten better with controlling my inner self. If that is possible or even makes sense. Sorry, I'm weird. It's just hard to explain.

I'm currently on the bus, sitting next to Esther, listening to her music once again. She's just staring out the window at the sky while I'm busy trying to drown out the world with the music. Something I like to do often. Something I wish I could do more often than usual.

River is on the other side of where we are sitting, playing a video game on his phone, from the looks of it. He's doing something on his phone. We arrive at school.

     "Another day, another load of knowledge to be shoved in our brains" Esther says.

    "You said it, Esther. Loud and clear," I reply.

   "At least Tracy isn't here to annoy us. Having a few months with her gone is the best thing that could've happened".

       "I'm not one for talking shit about people but yeah, I can agree with you on that," River says.

     "She's the best example of your average athletic high school popular girl. Just plain rude and nasty to everyone except people that are like her".

    "High School, Middle School. If everyone was nice and kind to everyone, the environments would be more positive and less negative. Unfortunately, that's not the case" I say.

     "It should be though. All I've wanted was to be in a positive environment because I hate negativity. It's why I transferred so many times. To search for one" River says.

     "There is no such thing as a positive environment in Middle school. High school, it depends. This one doesn't. At least, not to us" Esther says.

     "The school isn't at fault for the environment. They make an effort. The peers don't," I say.

     "You can even tell that they're trying to. They hired Ms. Gardner who is deaf. They made a Sign Language club in support for her. To help the kids speak her language through signs".

      "Yeah. I really hope it works out. I hope that whoever comes to this club with us doesn't show disrespect" River says.

      "Me too" I reply.

    "I'll hope for the best with you guys on that. By praying" Esther says.

    "We might need your praying after the day ends if it turns out bad" I reply.

  "Gotcha" She says.

We all get off the bus and see Eli running to all of us.

       "What's up" He says.

   "Nothing else but the sky" Esther says.

    "Today is the Sign Language club" River says.

    "Oh yeah. Hopefully this club turns out well and not into a funhouse for the athletes and popular kids" Eli says.

     "Then here's hoping that they think it's lame and don't go. The decent kids in this school will end up going to it instead" I say.