Chapter 22: Interrogation

I swallow, clear my throat, and answer the phone. "Hello?" I say.

  "Hello, Isaac," An Officer says.

"This is Officer Jenkins. You may not remember me, but I am the first responding officer at the scene of where your father died".

"Yeah, I remember," I say.

"What do you need?".

  "Sometime this week, we want you to come down to the station" Jenkins says.

"Why?" I ask.

  "Your mother told us about what really happened to your dad. About how it was a homicide. She was the only one who knew. We didn't know. It's why we let him go," Jenkins says.

  "We arrested David. He's in our custody right now. We want you to talk to him before he goes to court next week".

"I thought you guys knew" I say.

  "We wouldn't have left a killer on the streets if we knew" Jenkins says.

"Okay. I'll come by sometime this week" I say.

"Alright. You have a good day now, Isaac" Jenkins says.

"You too" I say, hanging up the phone.

"What was that about?" Esther asks.

"Yeah. You seemed nervous" River says.

  "It was the police. The first responding officer on my dad's death," I say.

"I guess my mom went to the police, explaining that it was a homicide".

  "I thought the police knew already" Esther says.

  "I thought so too. But he said that they wouldn't have let him go free if they knew," I say.

"They arrested David and he is going to be in court next week. They want me to talk to him before next week".

  "That's good, right? Your mom did the right thing" River says.

"Yeah, but it doesn't change the fact that she lied about it" I say.

"You're right, and it will take you a while to forgive," Esther says.

  "But it shows that she is trying to do right by you. She knows how you feel about all of this and she wants to give you what your father deserves. Justice".

"David deserves to rot in prison" I say.

  "He will" River says.

"He won't get away this time" Esther says.

We gather into a group hug.
—————————————————————————
           A couple of days have passed, and it's almost the end of the week. I'm still staying at Esther's. It's the day I have to go to the police station to talk to David. I'm expecting my mom to be there, since she is the one that made the call. I still don't forgive her. I'm still mad at her. I haven't gone to school, but Esther has been bringing home my homework from my classes so I don't miss anything and fall behind. So I expect work to be piled on the couch every day. Which is already accurate. Amaya has been texting me about up to three times a day to see how I'm doing. Right now, I'm getting ready to head to the station. So are Esther and her dad, and River. They're all coming with for support.

  "Come on, slowpoke" Esther comes in, covering her eyes.

"Hold your horses. I'm just putting my shoes on" I say.