Chapter 9: Avoidance

Its Friday now. I was still sick yesterday so I didn't go to school. Still feel like shit, but not as bad as yesterday and Wednesday. No high fever or anything like that. Just a slight stuffy nose and a cough. Luckily, I didn't have a dream like I had last night. I didn't even have a dream at all. I should tell someone about this. My dreams and my feelings. Maybe I will.

Currently, I'm on the bus. Sitting with Esther and River. The usual now. Me and River both take turns listening to Esther's music. Back and forth, since neither of us have headphones for some reason. I just never bothered to ask for new ones. River's excuse is unknown.

"Again and again. Completely blown away by your music. It either may be because it's different from what I usually listen to, or because I just love every single piece of music I listen to" River says.

     "Either way, it's a good thing to me. Most people think my music choices are trash" Esther says.

    "They're not even close to right. It's different, but it's really good" River says.

    "I'm glad you think that way" Esther says.

   "Why wouldn't I?" River says, going back to listen to the music.

      I just stay silent for the rest of the time.

We make it to school and get inside. I see Eli waiting for us at the stairs where we all meet up. But he looks scared. Or nervous. Its kind of hard to put in words. But when he sees us, he starts to quickly walk away right into the guidance office.

"Huh. Whats wrong with him?" Esther says.

   "I have no idea" I reply.

   "Maybe he just had a bad morning or night?" River says, confused.

    "We'll figure it out later. I need to fully wake myself up first before I go into questioning mode," Esther says.

   "I'll see you guys later".

   "Cya" I say.

  "Bye, Esther" River says.

Period 1
Me and River get to class early.

  "That was weird" River says.

  "Yeah, it was. From knowing Eli for so long, when he is like this, he is trying to hide something" I say.

  "What would he want to hide from us? We're his friends" He says.

   "Gotta be something huge. He tells us everything. Mostly" I say.

  "What has he kept secret from you and Esther?" He asks.

   "When me and Esther first met him, he really tried to hide the fact that he was depressed for a while. It's understandable. Id be the same way. Embarrassed. Putting on a brave face is tough. But sharing your emotions is even tougher," I say.

   "Then one day he just had a complete breakdown and he finally told us everything. He felt horrible for not telling us. He just said that he was scared that we wouldn't be able to handle him and that we would stop being friends with him".

   "At that time, he seemed like he desperately needed someone to talk to. But It still shouldn't be where he feels like he has to hide things from us" He says.

    "I know. But we can't control how he acts. It's up to him whether he wants to tell us or not" I say.

  "Yeah, you're right. I just hate secrets" He says.