Chapter 31: New Years Day

*January 1st, 2022*
I quickly decline the call and let it go to voicemail. I don't want to hear about anything bad right now. Bad news is what I want to be far beyond from. I feel as if I'm deaf. As if I've somehow wound up in the shoes of my math teacher. It's peaceful. No sound in sight. I put my phone back in my pocket and realize that my other hand is still interlocked with River's. As we are still on the bench, not moving a single inch. Like we're stuck in the moment right now. I look at him as he smiles at me. I see his happiness, his relief, his sadness, his anger, I see everything. I see all of it. I see him.

We quickly kiss once again and stand up. That's when my hearing comes back. I can hear everything again. The loud and ear-draining sound of the bands playing their music that none of us now the words to, the fireworks going off in the sky above us, people cheering and screaming, and people on the stage, using the mic to yell out "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" to the crowd. As if things weren't loud enough. Then it hits me: it's a new a year! A new fucking year! I made it! We made it!

River and I walk to Esther and Hailey while holding hands, making it obvious that it went well. Esther basically jumps for joy and Hailey gives us a thumbs up.

"Finally!" Esther jokes.

We laugh with her.

"How long did this waiting game go on for? I'm curious" Hailey asks.

"Too long," Esther says.

"Much too long".

"I can agree on that" River says.

"You could've just told me" I say.

"Never. I wanted to wait for you to make the first move," River laughs.

"Who knew I'd have to wait so long for you to say the three words".

"Sorry to disappoint?" I laugh.

"You didn't, don't worry" He smiles at me.

I smile back. I can tell Esther and Hailey are both awing in their heads without even looking at them. Instinct.

"Let's get fucked up!" Esther yells out of nowhere and runs towards the stage.

"Wait up!" Hailey calls out for her as she follows.

Me and River jump from their yelling.

"Should we go after them?" River asks.

"I don't really feel like getting lost in a crowd and having to find you guys again," I say.

"But I am up for partying, so fuck it".

"I'll keep close to you so I don't get pulled away like before" He says.

"Good choice," I say.

"And totally not because I want you to be close to me. We should stick together so we don't get sucked into the crowd. Hehe. I'll stop talking now".

"Don't stop talking," He says.

"Never stop talking".