Chapter 25: Unexpected

It's the next day. I wake up, still angry from yesterday. The jury. Just why? Why buy into his 'I need help' shit? What a dozen of idiots. Even I would be able to pinpoint the bullshit in his testimony. And I'm only 16. Anyways, I decided yesterday that I want to go back to school. Despite my lack of care at this point. I could use a distraction besides sitting on my ass, thinking about the bad for once. I don't understand at all what Eli meant in his text. What does he mean by 'I can't do anything anymore' and 'This'll be better for all of you'? What will be better for all of us? What's 'this'? I just left him on read. I didn't reply. I didn't know what to reply.

I wake up to Esther standing over my view.

"Jesus, stalker much?" I say.

"Sorry. Needed to make sure you were okay," She says.

  "And that you're going to follow through on finally going to school".

  "You can't expect me to be fine overnight" I say.

  "I know. None of that shit yesterday was fair. It's like the judge completely ignored the fact of what he did" She says.

  "Can we please just not talk about it? I'd rather hit myself in the head with the judge's gavel than hear anymore mention" I say.

"Sorry" She frowns.

  "It's fine" I say.

"So. Still planning on going to school or what?" She asks.

  "Are you giving me a choice?" I say.

"Yes" She says.

"Are you sure you want to give me a choice?" I ask.

  "Totally," She says.

  "Not".

I roll my eyes.

"I'll take that as a no," I say.

  "Give me a few minutes to change".

"Awesome. Its about time I don't see your ass lounging around the house" She says.

"I'd be less excited if you wanted this to be a daily occurrence" I say.

"You can't stay out of school forever" She says.

  "I have every reason to. All the reasons piling after another" I say.

"Well, lying around, sulking about it isn't going to help you get over it" She says.

  "It's my only option if I have no desire to do anything else" I say.

  "Just change and let's get going,"

She throws a random shirt, pants, and shoes at my feet.

"I've been ready. Now I need to wait on you".

"You can live to wait a few minutes" I laugh.

"Change" She says in a demanding voice, leaving the room.

I have the urge to comply. Like she is my sergeant or colonel or something. I didn't know I was in the army. Then I burst out in laughter.

        I change into a hoodie, sweatpants, and sneakers. Preparing myself for the cold weather. The snow hasn't been so bad but the temperature has seen better days. Just like me. At least it wasn't bad yesterday, but it doesn't mean it won't be the same today. I grab my coat as me and Esther head out to wait for the bus. Hunter hugs us both goodbye. I feel a whiff of air hit me just enough for me to start shivering.