Chapter 30: New Years Eve

*December 31, 2021*
            It's that time again. New Years. 16 hours from now, we will officially be in a new year once again. 2022. I have lots to do and lots to look forward to. These last 5 days have been pretty rocky, all things considered. They haven't been the greatest and they haven't been the worst. I've had worse days. I've had better days. I'm excited, nervous, happy, sad, angry, overwhelmed, I'm everything wrapped into one for today.

Today's the day I'm going to tell River how I feel. I'm going to tell him that I like him. Which isn't a really smart idea on this day when I begin to think of it, but fuck it. I'm ready to make a fool of myself if it ends up coming to that and I have a plan in mind. I'm going to tell him right before the clock strikes twelve. Right before the ball drops. I'm going to get him to me and tell him straight up. I don't know what the outcome will be, but I'm ready to face it head-on.

I haven't gotten anything back from Eli's parents about the voicemail I left them. And they usually reply back after a day. Maybe they didn't get it? Maybe they're ignoring it? I don't know. Seeing Eli every day just adds to the rockiness of the days. Our last visit is today at 12. 4 hours from now, we all have to say goodbye to him. The reality still hasn't fully clicked in with me on that yet. Saying goodbye. I should at least be grateful that I'm given this chance. One I wasn't given when it came to my dad. He was already gone.

The tradition we always do will be in play once again. Everyone in our town gathers at the park where there is a buffet sort of thing set up, a projector so we can all watch the ball drop, chairs everywhere so people can sit, it's chaos. But it's fun. It's tradition. That's where everything is going down. 5 to 12. 7 hours of our town laughing, crying, yelling, screaming. It's a sin to miss. I will write in you next year!

-Isaac.
—————————————————————————
15 hours. I get out of my room and join Esther and Hunter at the table for breakfast.

"It's gonna be crazy tonight," Hunter says.

"You sure you don't want me going with you guys?".

"I think we'll be okay" I say.

"We'll be fine" Esther says.

  "I'm just making sure," Hunter says.

  "Just in case you change your minds last minute. The whole town is going to be there".

"We went by ourselves last year, dad," She says.

"We can handle it".

"How come you don't go?" I ask.

"Too much for my taste," Hunter says.

"I used to go every year when I was your age and younger, but stopped after a while".

"Your a sinner then" I say.

"Sinner!" Esther yells.

"Sinner!" I yell with her.

"Calm down, old yellers" Hunter laughs.

We laugh along with him.

"Would it kill to not be a dad for just one night?" Esther asks.

  "Yes. Yes it would" Hunter says.

"Whatever then, buzz kill" Esther laughs.

  "You can take my mother with you," I say.