Chapter 18: Thanksgiving

"Happy Thanksgiving!" My mom yells at the top of her lungs, waking me up instantly.

    "What the hell?!" I say.

   She laughs.

   "Thanks for waking me up!" I say, annoyed.

     "Something needed to wake you up. Its almost 12 o'clock. How late were you up last night?" She asks.

    "I don't even know. I think I passed out, watching videos" I say.

    "That explains why your tablet is dead right next to you" She says.

    "At least it's not my phone that is dead" I say.

    "Cmon, get your lazy ass up. You've gotten plenty of sleep," She says.

    "Be happy I didn't wake you up when I woke up".

     "What time did you wake up?" I ask.

   "6 am" She says.

"Yeah, you would've had to drag me out of bed" I say.

   "Okay, now get dressed and ready. Everyone will be here at 2:30 for dinner" She says.

    "Everyone?" I ask, confused.

    "Esther and her dad, Eli and his parents, And River, his brother, and his parents" She says.

    "Oh" I say.

    "How did you forget? I told you yesterday" She says.

    "It's hard to listen when you got your eyes on something else" I say.

   "Whatever, I did tell you. Now get dressed" She says.

   "Alright, Alright" I say.

    "Love you" She says.

   "Love you too" I say.

                   Yep. Its Thanksgiving. November 19th. The date switches around every year. Last year, it was November 25th. The year before it was November 21st. It doesn't have a specific date like Christmas and Halloween. It just goes anywhere. I get dressed into a button-down shirt and khaki pants with a belt. I hate wearing shit like this. But it isn't like I got a choice. Mom says I need to look nice. Not a slob. Despite the fact that it's not like they're new guests. They're all like family to me. Just not blood related. That reminds me. Eli. I want to make sure he is actually coming. I haven't told mom anything about what happened yet. Its been over 2 weeks since he's talked to me or any of us. Maybe he is good now. Maybe he is able to talk to me.
—————————————————————————
Me: Hey, Eli. Happy Thanksgiving. It's been a while. I was really hoping that you would come to the movie with us. We all did. I got Esther to buy an extra ticket hoping you would come. We didn't think you would miss out on seeing a movie. I guess you were.

Me: Eli, I'm not mad at you. I'm not in shock anymore. I support you. I don't mind if you like me. You're still my friend. You still have me. You still have all of us, regardless if you don't talk to us for more days, weeks, even months. But it would mean a lot to me if you came to thanksgiving dinner today. 2 o'clock. I don't want you to ignore me anymore. I want my friend back. I miss you.
—————————————————————————
            He read it and began typing, but stopped after almost a minute. I already know he isn't going to come. But at least I tried again. Maybe 3's a charm. If that saying is true. I swipe out of his contact and then go to Amaya's. I wish she was here.
—————————————————————————
Amaya: Happy Thanksgiving!