12

This is the first time I'm waking up in the middle of the night,hungry. The sound of my stomach woke me up from my deep sleep. I didn't want to get up at first but the constant sound of my stomach wouldn't let me continue my sweet sleep. Urgh! I hate being interrupted when I'm sleeping. It makes it difficult for me to sleep back. And I seriously need this sleep,like my life depends on it.

So I'm currently going to the refrigerator to grab something to eat. I don't even know if I'm going to the right direction because the sleep is very much present in my eyes. I just hope I don't break something that would startle my mum out of bed. She literally needs the sleep like I do and I wouldn't want to wake her up,although it won't be my intention to. She works so tirelessly that I begin to wonder if I'm being raised by a robot.

But that's not what is on my mind now. I can feel my legs bailing out on me. It's as if they have a mind of their own because they are going towards my room while the remaining part of my body is going towards the kitchen. I'm actually using the wall as support because I don't think I can stand a second without falling down. I think I'm going to obey my legs this time around. They seem stronger than I am  and I don't think I have the power to fight with them,at least not today. I don't want to look like a dunce fighting with my legs,even though there would be no one watching.

But as I was heading back to my room,the sound of the TV startled me. The first thing that came to my mind was we've been kidnapped. I don't know why that came to my mind but right now, I'm still trying to figure out  how I didn't hear the sound when I was coming from my room. Did the sleep also take my ability to hear?

Going to the direction of the TV,I see my mum eating some popcorn and watching a soap opera that I don't think I've ever seen before. She seems not to notice my appearance and the only thing I could think of for her to notice me is to flick on the lamp that is beside her. That should definitely do the work.

"Raven,you startled me. Why aren't you in bed?" She questioned,adjusting her sitting position so that I could sit down beside her. I just love her. It's a pity that the man I'm meant to call my father isn't here to see how loving she has become.

Your loss,Mr whatever-your-name-is.

Sitting down on the space she made for me,I abandoned the apple in my hand and take a handful of her popcorn. I didn't bother looking at her face because I knew that she wouldn't mind me taking out of her 'food'. She's actually doing the same to my apple so we're even. Back to her question,why am I not in bed? If I tell her I was hungry,she's definitely going to laugh her lungs out which might wake up the whole neighbourhood and they would come asking if everything is okay. I cringe at the scenario playing in my head.

"Well,I was thirsty so I decided to come take a bottle of water from the fridge. How about you? Why are you up?" I had to do something and turning the question to her was the only thing I could come up with. While taking another handful of her popcorn,I glance at the blue wall clock that is situated in the middle of the living room and it's some minutes past 1am. Well,I wasn't expecting that.

"Well,I wasn't feeling sleepy so I decided to come watch some TV and nothing good seems to be showing so I'm left with this." She said, pointing at the soap opera she's watching. Well that makes alot of sense now. My mum isn't a fan of soap operas. She loves watching action movies. Strange, right?

"So how was school today?" She asked,looking at me intensely. I wonder how her stares get me scared. Right now, I feel goosepimples form on my arms. Well,there's nothing to be scared about. School was fine,I think.

"School was fine,mum." I said,trying to avoid her soul-piercing gaze. Urgh! My mum is a killer.

"I won't say you're lying but judging from the way your eyes are looking right now, I could tell that you cried,maybe cried yourself to sleep. So spill it. Like everything." She commanded,turning so that our faces met. There's no way I could avoid it this time around. How would I tell her that our neighbour's son is the reason for my tears? She would think I'm a psycho.

"It's the movie that I and Ari watched that made me cry." I said,standing up to go back to sleep but I wasn't fast enough because my mum quickly dragged me back. I tried to struggle out of the strong grip she had on my wrist but I was strengthless. I really really need to start eating. I don't want to be a size 6 forever.

"Did you think I bought that? Like seriously? Okay, let me try to believe you. What movie did you guys watch that made you cry so much?" She asked, turning off the TV, probably wanting to hear what I had to say.

"The fault in our stars." I said, smiling at how quick I was able to come up with that. I'm improving. Yippee!💃💃

"Hmm. You're seriously beginning to scare me, you know right? First, you acted so crazily at the dinner we had with the neighbours and now, you're crying yourself to sleep. Is everything okay, Raven? You can talk to me. You're the only person I have in this world and I don't want to loose you to anything." She recalled, holding my hands tightly.

I seriously hate it when she does this. She knows how soft I can be when she starts talking like this. But I don't think I want to tell her about Jason. It's nothing to worry about. She might just laugh it off and I'll be looking like a fool for telling her.

"Mum, there's absolutely nothing for you to be bothered about. If there's anything, you'll be the first person to know but right now, everything is fine." I assured her, kissing her on her cheek signalling that I was going back to bed. I seriously feel bad right now.

JASON! SEE WHAT YOU CAUSED😡😡😡

Any comments?

What do you think?

See you in the next chapter.😎😎