xii. breakfast

The next morning, Andie woke up to the smell of something burning, and a whispered string of curses

The next morning, Andie woke up to the smell of something burning, and a whispered string of curses. Walking into the main room, she rubbed the crud from her eyes as she saw Joe panicking in the kitchen.

He was waving a hand towel around, trying to fan away some of the smoke that was rising from whatever he had in the pan on the stovetop.

When he caught a glimpse of her he turned, suddenly straightening and leaning a hand on the kitchen counter, acting as if everything was okay, "Good morning, " he grinned, stumbling slightly as he suddenly lost his balance. He leaned his body against the counter, putting both elbows on it and holding his head in his hands, "Morning, " he repeated, his face red with embarrassment.

"Good morning, " Andie nodded, holding back a smile. She approached the stove, cringing at the sight of the burnt food crusted onto the pan, "What's all this?" She looked back at him, with a cheeky grin on her lips.

"Well, " His lips were in a line, his brows furrowed, "They were eggs, but I'm not sure what they are now."

Andie grabbed the spatula that he had used, scraping some of the charred eggs into the trash, "I think it's charcoal," she grinned. She sat the pan in the sink, dreading the wash she'd have to give it later and turned to Joe.

He had the same guilty look on his face from when she had first entered the room, "I just wanted to do something for you, you've helped me a lot and I wanted to help you out for once."

Andrea frowned, bringing the man in for a hug, "Just you being here is more than enough, " She sighed. The excitement of the morning almost made her forget about last night, almost.

Joe felt his heart sink as he heard and felt her quiet sobs against his chest. "No, no, no, no, hey, " He held her by the shoulders and looked her in the eye, telling her exactly what she needed to hear, "None of this is your fault."

"It is though!" She exclaimed, sulking her way to the couch, "If I didn't trust him so much this wouldn't have happened, " after saying this she flopped face down on the couch.

Joe couldn't help but be a tad bit amused at the sight before him, but he kept himself calm, "It's his fault, he's the creep, Andie. You're not the one who pretended to be your family, he was."

There was a moment of silence before a muffled scream of frustration was heard from the couch. It went on for a solid minute before Andie stopped. She lifted her head, her hair still a mess from sleep, "I'm an idiot," She told Joe.

"Well that's something we both have in common, " Joe smiled, "I'll be right back, get changed, " he told her. Passing by her he helped flatten down a flyaway piece of hair, "and maybe brush your hair."

She jokingly scoffed, "Okay, dad jeez, " She groaned, making Joe grin, "Wait, what are we doing?"

"You'll see, get dressed!" He shouted excitedly and shut the door behind him.

Andie threw on the cleanest and closest pair of jeans she could find and put on a random top, grabbing a random jacket that sat on the edge of her bed and putting it on.

She brushed her hair and teeth quickly, she was suddenly nervous. She didn't know why she was so nervous, but she was. She fiddled with the armband on her wrist, trying to distract herself.

Grabbing her purse, she went to the door just as Joe knocked, opening it with a shy smile. "That was quick," Joe commented, doing a double take as he saw what she was wearing. A smile slowly spread across his face and Andie looked down at her clothes.

"What?" She frowned, "Is there something on my shirt?" She pulled the ends of the fabric up to observe it.

"No, it's nothing," Joe shook his head. Not telling her that she was wearing his jacket from the night before.

-

andrea_deacon: Joe Mazzello: Egg burner and pancake stealer

andrea_deacon: Joe Mazzello: Egg burner and pancake stealer. #themisadventuresofandieandjoe

Liked by mrgwilymlee, brianmayforreal, benhardy1, and 4,026 others.
_

mrgwilymlee: Is that what I smelt this morning?
andrea_deacon: This is why they shouldn't have put you in the room directly above me.

-
Sup, peaches.

#shadebutimnotsorry