xiv. pier pressure

"This might be your last chance to actually do something with her besides play bass," Ben told Joe, "You just need to go for it

"This might be your last chance to actually do something with her besides play bass," Ben told Joe, "You just need to go for it."

Joe sighed, rubbing the back of his neck, "I just don't know what to do with her, or where to take her."

Rami, who was sat across from Ben and Joe, pondered for a moment, "There's always the pier," he said after a minute or two of thinking, "It might be a bit corny, but who knows? She might like it," he shrugged.

Joe smiled, "That's actually not a bad idea, thanks man."

"A kiss at the top of the Ferris wheel!" Ben smiled, "How romantic."

"And cliché," Gwilym added.

"Okay, Mr. Negativity," Ben retorted, "lets see if you have some ideas, you've been awfully quiet."

"Just be yourself," Gwilym advised, "sure, you can take her to the pier, but don't act like your in a cheesy romance movie. That's not you."

"That's very true," Rami added, "I mean who wouldn't like Joe?" He smiled.

Ben raised his hand, and Joe slapped it away, "I'm still beating you up when you land in London," Ben quipped.

_

Joe knocked on Andie's apartment door, hearing her talking to someone on the other side. He had texted her earlier about spending the day exploring, and she excitedly agreed. Andie shouted a "come in!" in between the sentences she was speaking.

Joe opened the door to see Andie pacing the main room, "Hi," she smiled, "No, Luke, I wasn't talking to you," She spoke into the phone.

"Yes, Zeppelin's collar is hanging on the key rack next to the front door. Yes, exactly where you left it the last time. Did you throw out all of his old food like I asked? Who knows what he could've done with it." She told Luke, paused a moment and said, "I wouldn't have put it past him."

Zeppelin was Andie and Jefferson's dog, they had adopted him a little while after they got engaged. Now that Jefferson was out of her house, she depended on Luke to take care of him and house sit, "Now I'll be home next month, okay? So, it won't be too long."

She nodded, as if Luke could see her, "Okay, yes, love you too. Bye." She hung up the phone and brought her hands to her head.

"Did you get everything taken care of?" Joe asked as Andie grabbed her purse from the couch.

"Yes, Luke is house sitting and taking care of Zeppelin," She groaned, "god, why do these things have to happen to me?"

Joe opened the door for her, letting her lock it before interlocking arms with her, "Hey, at least it's all over now."

"God, I hope it is," She sighed, leaning her head on Joe's arm, "So where are we going Mazzello? Or are you going to hide it from me? Like the fact that you didn't tell me you were in Jurassic fucking Park!" She removed her arm from his and began hitting him playfully.

"I thought you knew!" He chuckled, holding his hands up in defense, "Glad to know I was your childhood crush though. Wanna talk about that, hm?"

"No, no I do not," Andie frowned, "Don't twist this back on me," she hit him once more.

"Ow, okay She-Hulk, calm down," He laughed again.

"Okay, She-Hulk is fine as hell, so thanks for the complement," She smiled as the two walked down the stairs to the car park.

The two of them discussed their favorite comic book characters as Joe drove to the pier. He smiled as he watched Andie talk so passionately about something. The light in her eyes was blinding and her excited smile was captivating, "I mean DC is great, but Marvel's characters seem so much more relatable."

"Oh, yeah, I completely agree," Joe nodded, not taking his eyes off the road, "The real question is, Team Cap or Team Iron Man?" He quirked a brow.

"Ah, no don't make me choose," She shook her head, "I love all of them equally, but maybe Cap a bit more."

Joe smiled as they pulled into the pier's parking lot, "Okay, we're here."

"Already? That was quick," Andie peered out the window.

"Well, you were talking about comics for thirty minutes," Joe chuckled.

Andie's eyes widened, "Oh god, was I? I'm so sorry,"

Joe shook his head as the two of them got out of the car, the two walked side by side, "I didn't mind," Joe shrugged. His hand hung by his side, and he was secretly hoping Andie would grab it. And she did.

_

It was sunset when Joe dragged Andie to the Ferris wheel. She held a giant stuffed animal in her arms that Joe had nearly spent all of his money on trying to win. Reluctantly, hand in hand, she followed him. She held the plush pink penguin in her lap as the worker put the safety bar down in their laps.

They went round a few times, Joe noticed Andie getting tenser and tenser by the minute, "Joe, I have to tell you something," she said once they were stopped at the top of the wheel.

"I have to tell you something too," Joe told her, "but you go ahead."

Andie's brow furrowed, before she blurted out, "I'm afraid of heights."

An astonished smile slowly spread across Joe's features as he let out a singular chuckle, "Andie, why didn't you say something?"

"Well, you really wanted to go on the ride, and I didn't want to disappoint you, so I said 'sure' and I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. I was wrong and I'm freaking out," She rambled on quickly, "and now were at the top and I think we're gonna die."

Joe put his arm around her comfortingly, accidentally rocking their cart, "Mazzello I swear to god!" She tensed up.

"It was an accident, I swear. I wouldn't do that to you," he reassured her.

"Please, tell me what you had to say. Give me a distraction," She was clutching onto that poor penguin for dear life.

Joe was quick on his feet, realizing that telling her about his feelings might have freaked her out even more, "You know when I agreed with you about marvel in the car?" He asked her and she nodded, "Well, I lied, I think DC is better."