xxxvi. christmas time is here

"Just remember," Andie reminded Joe as they were walking up the path to her parent's door, "Don't talk about the band, don't talk about filming- just nothing to do with Queen, alright? It gets him in a tiff and I don't want you to see him like that-"

"Andie," Joe cut her off, putting his hands on her shoulders, "I know, we've been through this literally a hundred times. Unless he asks, don't talk about it. I know," Joe smiled softly.

Letting in a deep breath, Andie nodded, "Sorry, I just want everything to go smoothly today," She nervously bit at her thumbnail, not enough to break it though, she didn't want that habit to come back now.

Joe grabbed her hand, putting it up to his lips, "I promise, Andie, everything will be alright," he said after kissing her hand, "Isn't it me that's supposed to be the nervous one?" He chuckled, swinging their hands down to their sides. They continued up the path to the front door, Andrea shaking her head, as if to shake the nerves out, before knocking on the door.

Veronica was quick to open the door and embrace her daughter, "Oh, Andrea, Merry Christmas darling."

"Merry Christmas, mum," Andie smiled, squeezing her mother back before pulling away, "This is Joe."

Veronica smiled, bringing Joe bin for a hug, "I've heard so much about you! Lovely to finally meet you, dear, now come in the both of you! We're just waiting on Luke and then we'll be set," Andie's mother clapping her hands together, leading the couple through the house and into the living room.

"Everyone," Andie grinned, standing in front of her family- except Luke, "This is my boyfriend, Joe."

Warm welcomes and smiles filled the room as Andie's father stood to greet her, "Andrea," John smiled, bringing his daughter in for a tight hug, "Your mother and I have missed you. How are you, dear?"

"Better now," Andie sighed, pulling away from her father with a soft smile, "way better."

"I'm glad," he nodded, "and it's nice to meet you, Joe," he shook Joe's hand with a smile before whispering to his daughter, "He does look a bit like me, doesn't he?"

-

Andie leaned her head on Joe's shoulder, carefully sipping on her hot chocolate. She watched as her siblings and nieces and nephews opened presents.

Joe handed Andie's present to her, it was in a small square white box, "You might not want to open this in front of your dad," he whispered.

Andie's eyes widened and she tilted her head in confusion, "What the he-"

Joe began to laugh, "Jeez, Andie, no! It's nothing inappropriate."

Andie rolled her eyes, getting off the couch and heading towards the bathroom with her gift. Sitting on the edge of the bathroom counter, she opened the box, removing the paper from inside and gasping. It was a studded leather armband, just like the one Freddie wore, and she wore after him. She could feel the tears welling in her eyes.

"It's from the set," Joe stood in the doorframe, his sudden appearance making her jump, "I know it's not the real thing, but it's close."

Andie stood, rushing to give him a hug as the tears fell from her eyes, "Thank you, Joe," They embraced for a moment, just relishing their time, before Andie pulled away, "Now I gotta stop crying because they might get the wrong idea," she giggled.

-

Andie had gotten Joe a few Beatles albums, knowing that he loved them a lot. They both had gotten matching PJs from her parents, and Andie had gotten a Polaroid camera and some film. She snapped a photo of Joe holding up the presents he received, and one of her parents together.

When they at dinner, Andie taught Joe how to pop his Christmas crackers and crowned him with a grin. Laura grabbed Andie's camera after dinner, instructing the two to stand in a certain entryway of the house. "Coincidentally" the place where her mother had hung the mistletoe. The two of them kissed while Laura snapped the photo, making some of the kids squeal in disgust.

Veronica glanced at John, who was watching his daughter with a proud expression. She grabbed his hand and said, "It looks like we've flashed back to the past for a moment," she smiled.

"God, help them," John joked, the two of them laughing before clinking their glasses together.