xxix. "acting"

Andie nervously fiddled with her fingers as she sat in the hair and makeup chair

Andie nervously fiddled with her fingers as she sat in the hair and makeup chair. She was already dressed in a fancy party dress that showed off her curves. The hairdresser curled the young Deacon's hair, making her look fit for one of Freddie's illustrious parties.

The door to the trailer opened, Andie not being able to see who came in due to the hairstylist being in the way. As Joe came into her vision the blonde smiled, greeting him with a friendly: "Hey!"

"Hey," Joe smiled, sitting in the chair next to her. He stared at her for a moment, just watching her chat idly to the hairdresser, "This must be so surreal for you, playing your mother," he said during a bout of silence.

Andje grinned, "I think it's cool, seeing firsthand what their lives were like," she fiddled with the end of a curled strand of hair, "Though I must say it is kind of strange."

"I get that," Joe flashed her an understanding smile, causing butterflies to erupt in her stomach when she realized something. She had to act like she was in love with Joe.

"I'm sorry if I'm a terrible scene partner, I've never done anything like this before," That strand of hair became really interesting to Andie because she didn't look up from it, "Unless you count child plays in primary school."

Joe shook his head, placing a hand on her knee, making goosebumps rise on her arms, "I'm sure you'll do great."

"You're just saying that because we're friends," Andie wrinkled her nose before looking over at him.

"What can I say," Joe shrugged, lifting his hand from her knee and leaning back in the salon chair, "I'm a pretty supportive friend."

Andie shot him a closed mouth smile, her nerves getting the best of her, "What if I mess up."

"I'm pretty sure you won't," Joe said reassuringly, "But if you do, we can always do another take. We mess up all the time! Remember when Ben accidentally threw his drumstick at the director?"

The woman snorted, "I don't know if that was on accident or on purpose."

Joe laughed as the stylist moved to do Andie's makeup. After watching her get her makeup done, Joe stood, holding out his hand to help her up, "Don't be nervous Deacon, I'll be right there beside you."

Andie smiled, taking his hand and standing from the chair. Her heels made the two of them almost the same height. Leading her out of the trailer and helping her down the stairs, Joe swallowed dryly, "You look great by the way, stunning."

She hoped he couldn't see her blush from under her makeup, "Thanks, you don't look too bad yourself," she grinned, tugging at one of the strands of his long wig.

"Come on, wife," he said, putting his arm around her waist, "Let's get to set." 

Andie took a deep breath, "Okay, let's do this."

-

The set was abuzz with extras, all dress up in wild and crazy outfits. This definitely looked like one of Freddie's parties.

Andie and Joe sat on a couch, Gwilym, Ben, and the women who were playing their wives sat next to them. They all had fake champagne in glasses, chatting idly as they waited for the cameras to start rolling.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you two were an actual couple," Ben pointed out.

Joe gave Ben a look, one that Andie didn't notice. The blonde woman laughed, "I mean we look so much like my parents it's crazy," She smiled.

"It really is," Gwilym nodded, "You know, we were really surprised when we heard you were going to be playing Veronica. Joe was-"

Gwilym was cut off by the director shouting for people to get in their places, causing Joe to sigh in relief. He noticed Andrea tense up, so he placed his hand over hers, interlocking fingers, "We got this, Deacon," he whispered, "Or should I say, Veronica?" He grinned and Andie felt those butterflies again.

Take after take of laughing together, laying on his shoulder, clinking glasses with endearing smiles, and flirting shamelessly with each other. Andie soon realized something: she didn't have to act.

She was in love with Joe Mazzello.