xxxv. giving thanks

"I'm warning you ahead of time, my family can be pretty hectic," Joe grimaced as he drove

"I'm warning you ahead of time, my family can be pretty hectic," Joe grimaced as he drove. It was Thanksgiving morning, and the two of them planned to arrive early to help Joe's mom with dinner.

Andie let out a nervous laugh, smoothing over her dress for what seemed to be the hundredth time in the last five minutes, "You haven't met my family yet, Deacon family holidays are the definition of hectic."

Joe grabbed Andie's fidgeting hand with his own, "Hey, there's nothing to worry about. My parents are gonna love you."

"You say that, but you're a very good actor, Mazzello," Andie frowned, her insecurities always getting the best of her. She flipped down the passenger side visor to check her makeup. Would they like her more than Joe's last girlfriend? Could they cause the two of them to break up?

Joe put the car in park, turning to his distraught girlfriend, "Andrea, listen to me," he grabbed her hands in his and let out a deep breath, "I'm nervous too, believe me, but I can promise you that you have nothing to worry about. My mom already loves you," Andie raised an eyebrow, trying to hide a smile. Joe sighed, "I might've already told her a lot about you, sometimes it gets boring in a dance studio."

Andie felt herself melt into the seat, Joe really did love her. She let out a deep breath, closing her eyes before looking at Joe, who stared back at her in admiration, "Let's do this."

Joe leaned in for a kiss, but Andrea stopped him, "Lipstick, Joe, what would you're mother think?" She said in mock condescendence.

Joe rolled his eyes and kissed her anyway. Andie giggled as he pulled away, using her thumb to wipe the lipstick smears from his lips, "You're so stubborn," She scrunched her nose, as Joe kissed her thumb.

"Must've got it from you," Joe snickered.

"Watch it, Mazzello," Andie playfully slapped his chest, "Or you'll be spending thanksgiving without me."

"But then we'll lose the tastiest thing from the table," Joe grinned.

Andie's jaw dropped, "Joseph Francis Mazzello the third I swear to god!" She laughed, reaching for the car door, "I've got to go, I've never met this man in my life," Getting out as Joe's laughter filled the car.

"Just trying to calm your nerves," Joe smiled as he met his pouting girlfriend on the sidewalk. He adjusted Andie's coat so it was snug against her, better for braving the cold New York weather, "See," he grabbed her hand, "You aren't shaking anymore."

"I guess it helped," she looked up at him, trying but failing to hide her smile. Joe grinned back at her, swinging his arm around her shoulders and hugging her to his side as they walked up the path to his parents' front door.