xxi. morning after

Joe awoke to Zeppelin pouncing on his face, attacking his eyes, nose, and mouth, with licks

Joe awoke to Zeppelin pouncing on his face, attacking his eyes, nose, and mouth, with licks. He chuckled, grabbing the small dog and cuddling it. Zeppelin quickly rooted out of his arms and sat on top of Andie's bum, as she was laying stomach down. The man sighed, rubbing his eyes and looking over to the clock on the nightstand next to him, "Five thirty?" Joe asked the dog quietly, "Zep, come on, man."

Zeppelin only yawned in response and then let his head fall, the dog quickly falling asleep. Joe studied the sight before him, Andie's hair was a wild mess, a few stray strands in her mouth. Her face was clean, free of makeup, and peaceful. He could see the lines of worry barely beginning to settle on her forehead and betwixt her brows. Her mouth was parted slightly, long deep breaths flowing in and out as she rose and fell slightly with each one.

Joe smiled softly, brushing the hair out of her mouth slowly with his hand. He lingered for a moment, thinking to himself. In his tired, hazy state, he didn't really worry about the repercussions. He swung his arm over the small of her back, lying somewhat on top of her.

The sleeping woman leaned into his warmth, and Zeppelin put his head on Joe's arm. The sound of Andie's breathing and the warmth of her body next to his slowly lulled him back to sleep.
-

Andie awoke to the smell of pancakes and freshly brewed coffee. Zeppelin was curled against her side. She sat up groggily, running her fingers through her hair to try and straighten the unruly mess out. Zeppelin immediately moved to where her body once laid, using her body heat to warm himself. She rubbed her eyes and scooped the small dog up in her arms, "If I have to get up, you do too," she told him.

Holding the dog to her chest, she walked into the kitchen. Joe was humming a tune to himself as he worked away at the stove, flipping pancakes before setting them on a plate next to the burner. There was a coffee cup on the counter next to him, he would occasionally sip as he cooked.

There was also a cup of tea on the island behind him, steam slowly rose from it. Joe turned to set a plate of pancakes next to the cup, but he jumped when he saw Andie, "Holy-" the plate almost fell from his grasp, "You about gave me a heart attack."

"What's all this?" Andrea asked, setting Zeppelin on the ground before sitting at one of the island's stools.

"Breakfast," Joe said simply, handing her a fork and the syrup.

"Joe, you didn't have to do this," The brunette shook her head, pulling the plate towards her.

"Friends take care of each other, Andie," Joe told her, turning off the stove and setting his own plate of pancakes in front of the stool next to her, "I know you would do the same for me."

The two ate in a comfortable silence, Andie laid her head on Joe's shoulder after swallowing a couple of bites. She reached for her wrist, wanting to fiddle with the armband, but her hand just met skin. She let out a sad sigh. Joe, having cleared his plate already, slowly eased his fork towards Andie's plate. Intentionally slow enough for the brunette to notice, "Oi!" She swatted at his hand, "You're a damn pancake stealer."

"You weren't eating it," He smiled at her, before quickly stabbing a piece of her breakfast and bringing it to his mouth. He ate the bite with an over exaggerated satisfaction, while Andie sat up and crossed her arms.

"I'm never inviting you to stay the night again," she huffed.

Joe wiped his mouth with a napkin, "Okay, then I guess I should go then," he stood from the stool and began to walk out of the kitchen.

Andie quickly stood up and grabbed his arm, "No," she drawled out the 'oh', "Joe, I was joking."

Joe smiled before huffing and rolling his eyes, "I guess I'll stay," he stared, falsely irritated at her before breaking out into a smile.

Andie sat on the counter next to the sink as Joe washed the dishes. He occasionally glanced over to her, watching as she sipped her tea. He occasionally caught her staring back, which made his heart flutter.

"What are you doing today?" Andie asked him after a bout of silence.

"I was going to go see Ben and Gwilym," he told her, "you can come with if you want."

"Oh, no, I don't want to be a bother," she shook her head, "plus you probably need your 'bro time'. I might call up Lucy, so we can properly meet, since last night was- well you know."

There was another moment of silence before Joe spoke up, "You could never."

"Pardon?" Andie asked, confused as to what he was talking about.

Joe dried off his wet, soapy hands and placed them on her knees, "You could never be a bother, Andrea Deacon."

joe_mazzello: One of the bravest women I know

joe_mazzello: One of the bravest women I know. @andrea_deacon