The Saddest and Happiest Night

Hi this is my first Hiccstrid book, so wish me luck! The chapters get better as you read along, I promise!

Hi, this is a proposal oneshot thats cannon with the story. (HUHUHU HTTYD 3 :<<) This is after HTTYD 3

———————

BOOM

Lightning strikes over new Berk as the vikings slept without their dragons beside them for the first time.

A few hours before, the Berkians let their dragons go so that they may be safe in the Hidden World. It was the hardest thing that they will ever do. Their dragons were everything to them. They were friends, helpers, and protectors.

BOOM

Hiccup Haddock stirred in his sleep, feeling lonely and cold. He missed his buddy and best friend, Toothless. He knew he did the right thing, but why did it have to be so hard?

Hiccup opened his eyes as he heard his tent open and close.

In front of him was a cold and shivering Astrid Hofferson. She wasn't that drenched in rain because her tent was right beside Hiccup's. She had her hair down and wore a red tunic and leggings.

"Hey. Um, can I sleep here with you?" She asked shyly while rubbing her shoulder.

Hiccup grinned at her. "Sure, M'lady" he said and patted the space next to him. She lied down and cuddled into his chest for warmth.

"I miss them, Hiccup" Astrid murmered into his chest

"So do I, Astrid" Hiccup replied with the same sad tone, wrapping his arms around her and kissing the top of her head.

Astrid thought about how much she missed her dragon. She knew that there were only ever two beings in this world who will ever fully and truly understand her. Her dragon and her long-time boyfriend turned betrothed.

Her betrothed... She thought, remembering Gobber's speech to them about marriage.

They both loved each other and cared for one another deeply. Aren't we ready? Aren't we ready to be married?

If she asked herself that question a week ago, she would've had a different answer. But just from this week's events, they had gotten closer and found new levels of appreciation for one another.

They have never been so in sync and united than in the past few days. From fighting in battles to painting a leather tail, they were in complete harmony.

It made her wonder if they should take Gobber's advice and finally get married.

"Hey." Hiccup nudged Astrid who looked deep in thought.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked looking into her crystal blue eyes

"When do you think we'll be ready?" Astrid blurted out

Hiccup sighed deeply, in thought. "For the dragons? I don't know...once we convice all the dragon hunters to-"

"No, Hiccup. When do you think we're ready?" Astrid asked him, tilting her head at him.

"Ready for wha- oh" Hiccup blushed as she waved his bethrothal gift to her.

"Uhmm, to be honest Astrid?" He chuckled and looked away, embarrased at his answer.

"I think we are now" He said sheepishly, his cheeks bright red, even if they were in the dark. He looked back so he could see her reaction.

Her face was plain and didn't show emotion, so he decided to ramble on.