The Day

Hi guys! Small kind of angsty oneshot! Happens when Hiccstrid is 70, Zephyr is 46, and Nuffink is 44. Enjoy!

———————

It was a cold winter morning when Astrid left the world. She woke up with little strength, knowing that today was her last. Her eyes fluttered open and saw that she was alone in the room.

Hiccup had already woken up and made her breakfast, like the cute and adorable husband he always was, no matter how old they were. She smiled as she thought of him and tried to stay awake.

She felt more and more tired and weak while time passed by, but she fought the increasing urge to close her eyes for Hiccup to get there.

After a few minutes of waiting, Hiccup came into the room with a smile on his face. She gave him a tiny grin and sighed softly.

Hiccup saw that she was paler than usual and she was breathing slowly. He quickly placed down the tray of food and sat down beside her.

"Ast?" He called out to her as she struggled to keep her eyes open. She managed to smile at him and gaze into his bright green eyes.

"Hiccup" Astrid said and sighed softly. He placed a hand on her cheek and frowned at her.

"What's wrong, m'lady?" Hiccup asked her, worriedly. She leaned into his hand and closed her eyes briefly.

"Today's the day" She told him, opening her eyes and letting a few tears fall down from her eyes. Hiccup felt tears gather in his eyes and slowly shook his head.

"No" Hiccup whispered and stared into her tearful and tired blue eyes. She gave him a sad smile and nodded a little.

"We'll see each other again. I know it" She comforted him as more tears rolled down his face. His eyes reflected the pain he felt that she was going to leave him all alone.

All of their friends had passed away to Valhalla.  Snotlout, Fishlegs, Ruffnut, Tuffnut, even Heather and Dagur had gone. It was just the two of them, but now he would be the only one.

"Astrid, please stay. I still need you" Hiccup begged her, feeling his heart start to break.

"I love you, babe" She whispered softly and gave him one last smile before closing her eyes. He let out a soft sob and retracted his hand, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

"Oh, Astrid" He mumbled as he cried quietly, feeling more alone than ever. The love of his life had left him and he couldn't take the pain of waiting to see her again.

"I love you too, m'lady. I love you too" He whispered back and leaned forward to kiss her forehead for the last time. He took her limp hand and softly cried into it.

Then, he heard a knock and his daughter, Zephyr, slowly stepped inside. Her eyes landed on her mother and tears began to fall from her eyes.

Hiccup stood up and walked over to her, wrapping his arm around her daughter as she cried softly. He cried with her and gently patted her light auburn hair.

Nuffink came into the room and stood frozen in shock as he saw his mother on the bed, not moving. A tear slowly rolled down his face while he looked over to see his father and sister crying.

He went over to them and wrapped his arms around them, joining their hug and starting to sob quietly. The family grieved together in pain and sadness for Astrid was gone.

It hit Hiccup like a brick, realizing that she was truly gone. All he did always included Astrid in some sort of way. When he cooked, she was always there to taste it since she was terrible at cooking. When he cleaned, she would always clean it again claiming that she could do it better. Even when he talked, she was there to mock him with her silly impression.

Knowing that she would hated for him to cry over her, he tried to make her death not be in vain and sadness. He tried to convince himself that she would be better in Valhalla, no more pain or stress.

He only knew one thing, one special and dear thing that he would hold in his heart. That they would be with each other again. That they would reunite.

Today was the day. The day where he would start counting until they met again.