Sunflower

Hi guys! So this is a sad one, kinda. It happens through out the film and series. Enjoy!

———————

Astrid loved sunflowers. She looked how bright they are and how they always look up at the sun. Not only that, but also because Hiccup always gave her them.

It all started when they were kids. They were playing in the field happily when Hiccup found a flower. He tapped her from behind and handed her the small sunflower.

She remembered him smiling happily and her smiling back at him. It was so innocent and cute that she would never forget it.

The next time he gave her a sunflower was when they lived at the edge. The day after they got together, she found a bundle of fresh sunflowers on her desk and smiled brightly.

Every other date they went on, he gave her a sunflower when he would pick her up. He would always give it to her with some cheesy line that made both of them laugh as soon as he said it.

After a while, they planned to exchange betrothal gifts. Astrid couldn't find anything for him, but Hiccup had found something perfect for her.

He gave her his father's betrothal gift to his mother. She remembered what he said to her, that she didn't need to get him a gift because she was all he needed.

After they went back home, she came back to her hut and found it covered in a bunch of beautiful sunflowers. She sighed happily and glanced outside to see a grinning Hiccup.

Another big moment was when they moved in together. It was right after the war with Drago and they wanted to live together. When Astrid brought her things to their house, every vase was filled with sunflowers.

She laughed when Hiccup walked in the room, covered in grass and flowers. He said that Toothless pushed him down a hill and he grinned at her as she kept laughing.

Sometimes, when he would come home late, he would bring her a sunflower and apologize. She would immediately forgive him and tell him it was okay.

When they got married, Astrid made sure that the flower were sunflowers. Hiccup smiled gleefully when he saw the place filled with bright and happy sunflowers.

After a few months, they found out that Astrid was pregnant. Hiccup brought sunflowers to her every time they went to Gothi's hut, making her sigh in content at her husband.

She remembered that he was so supportive during the birth and was with her the whole time. After they finally met their beautiful daughter, Zephyr, Hiccup gave her a bundle of sunflowers and one small sunflower to Zephyr.

Every mother's day, valentine's day, and even on some normal days, he would give her a sunflower. All the way until they grew old.

Astrid looked at the boat tearfully as she held her daughter's and son's hands. Hiccup had left them. He had passed on to the other side, leaving her missing him and wishing he came back.

She took the bow and arrow and aimed it at her husband's boat. She had told them to fill it with sunflowers. His boat was bright and happy, unlike the rest of the village.

A tear fell down her cheek as she realized that there would be no more sunflowers. No more cute lines. No more happy chuckles.

She breathed deeply and released the flaming arrow, lighting up the boat as it sailed away. She walked closer to the edge and looked out at the boat.

She sat down and sadly watched it sail out of distance. Her daughter lead her back home and gave her time to be alone. Astrid smiled gratefully at Zephyr and waived goodbye.

She turned around and saw the house dim without him in it. The sunflowers did only a little bit to lighten the somber mood of the house.

Astrid walked into their room and sat at the desk. She opened the drawer for paper, when something else fell out. A piece of paper fell out and she picked it up. She gasped and felt more tears fall from her eyes.

There on the piece of paper was a drawing of her. Her hair down and covered in sunflowers. She guessed that Hiccup drew it when they first moved in together.

That was so long ago. They had spent so much time, laughter, experiences with each other since then. They got married. They had kids. They grew old together.

Tears rolled down her cheeks when she took the picture and placed it right on top of the desk. She squinted and saw that there was a short letter on the side.

"Astrid, you're my sunflower. Brightening and making my world so much happier. I love you" She read, making her smile lightly and cry even more. She inhaled and exhaled, before walking over to their bed and lying down.

It would only be a short time before she would meet her sunflower again. And a very long time before they would ever be separated again.