In-Law Bonding

This is right before HTTYD 2. Specifically, before the dragon race at the start.

———————

It was a normal breezy day in Berk.
Summer had just passed, now autumn was arriving. Leaves were falling, the wind was getting colder, and Terrible Terrors were singing on the rooftops.

Astrid was finishing up a class at the Dragon Training Academy when Stoick, her fiancé's father, entered.

"Hey, lass!" His voice boomed as he patted her back.

"'Ave you seen Hiccup anywhere around 'ere?" He asked her

"No, actually. First place I'd look would be Itchy Armpit. He spends a lot of time there" Astrid chuckles softly

"You seem to know him really well, Astrid" Stoick commented

"Well, we have been together for almost two years. Betrothed for half a year and friends for five" Astrid frowned after she said that and scrunched her nose.

"Has it really been that long?" She asks, surprised.

"Time flies when you're in love, lass" Stoick laughed, making Astrid blush.

"You are in love, lass, am I right?" Stoick raised his eyebrow.

"Yes! Of course!" She responded immediately

Stoick chuckled. "Astrid, you and Hiccup are betrothed. In time, both of you will be the chief and chieftess. Now, being chieftess is not an east task. You need to raise heirs to the throne and at the same time have many, many duties. And of course, loving my son isn't easy either" Stoick rolled his eyes and Astrid giggled.

"But, do you think you are up to the challenge? To be chieftess and love my son faithfully?" Stoick asked her sincerely

Astrid thought. Loving Hiccup was something that was natural. Nothing could stop it.

But being chieftess? It was something difficult. She had to give up her time to serve people, raise children, and so much more.

At first, she was scared about raising children. She didn't want to be just a housewife at home, cooking, cleaning, and dealing with children.

But then she realized who these children were. They were her and Hiccup's children. Tiny Astrids and Hiccups running around everywhere didn't seem so scary. In fact, it was actually exciting.

And she wouldn't just be a housewife, she would help out with the village and do some of the chief's duties which is helping and leading Berk.

She had spent her whole life wanting to help people. Wanting to protect people. If her job was to do this, she would try her best to be great at it.

She can be chief and there would be so many people who would help her do it.

"Definitely or I'll try my very best to" Astrid answered, genuinely, to Stoick.

He smiled widely and laughed.
"Perfect. There isn't anyone else on this island that I would want my son to marry and lead with" Stoick hugged his son's betrothed for a moment and pulled back, holding her shoulders.

"You are like the daughter I have always wanted. Thank Thor for my future daughter-in-law!" He boomed, shaking her shoulders a bit.

Astrid smiled and chuckled at him, feeling fatherly love once more.

"I best be going now, lass" Stoick let go of her shoulders and bid goodbye to her as he left the Academy.

She waved goodbye and grabbed her axe from the stand, grinning as she remembered that he was going to be her father-in-law in a while.

Suddenly, she heard familiar growl coming from above.

Toothless landed in the Academy along with his rider.

"Good Afternoon, m'lady" Hiccup greeted her, grinning.

"Guess who just came by looking for you?" Astrid asked, smiling.

She swung her axe and hit a bull's eye on her way to him.

"Hmm, I don't know. Who?" Hiccup smirked, placing his hands on her waist as she wrapped her's around his neck.

"Your dad or can I say, my future father-in-law?" She raised her eyebrow at him, tilting her head at him.

"Oh gods, did he talk to you about marrying me sooner? Ugh, I should've known and told hi-"

"Actually, he didn't" Astrid interrupted him.

Hiccup frowned. He didn't? What else could he have said?

"He asked about what happens after, you know. Being chieftess, loving you faithfully, serving the people, raising kids..." She continued.

"Hey, I'm pretty sure you can handle all of that stuff. I'm worried if that stuff is what you want, Astrid. Is it?" He looked at her, eyes full of concern.

Astrid felt a surge of love because Hiccup was worried about what she wanted. He wasn't forcing her into anything. He loved her too much to do that.

It was just like Hiccup. Worried for her. Man, he looks so scared... Like I would dump him or anything. Astrid thought

Astrid shook her head giggling at Hiccup's nervous face. Then, pressed her lips to his as an answer.

They pulled apart, Hiccup losing the nervousness in his face and replacing it with a smirk.

"Of course it is, you big dummy!" She said to him, grinning, as she lightly punched his shoulder.

"Just checking" He replied, chuckling while tucking a piece of hair behind his betrothed's ear. Smiling at her for what seemed like forever.

Astrid sighed contently and hugged Hiccup's chest. She was so in love with this person, how could she ever leave him?

"I love you" Hiccup mumbled into her hair, putting his arms around her.

Nothing is better than this. He thought to himself.

"I know you do. I love you too, babe" Astrid murmured back, hugging his chest more.

From the entrance of the Academy, was Stoick, happy to see that his son had found someone to love and be with forever.

He was even more happy that Astrid was that someone. He knew that they would be happy and would stay happy for the rest of their lives.

———————

Oof. I tried with this. Really tried. Please comment ideas and requests!
Word Count: 990

<3 Abby