Chapter 10

Steve

When we arrive back at the hotel after a long afternoon of wandering around the city, most people already started on their diner.

I poke a fork into my pasta as I sit down next to Bucky and Sam, but they are arguing again and at one point I'm so done with them that I decide to go and sit with Tony, Clint and Bruce.

"Hey," I speak up while I sit down at their table, "Do you guys have plans for the evening?"

The three men give each other with a meaningful look before Tony answers, "We were just going to chill at Clint and Pietro's room, are you coming too?"

I nod, "Sure."

"I brought the bananashakes, though." Clint whispers while bowing himself over the table so no one can hear us.

Bananashakes? What do they mean with that?

Tony smirks, "We'll see if our captain here is ready."

They all chuckle a little but it makes me nervous so I ask, "Ready for what?"

Tony raises his eyebrows, "You'll see."

I bite my lip. Okay...

Then I realize I still wanted to apologize to Tony about earlier, "By the way, I'm really sorry for what happened in the restaurant with Pepper and all."

He looks around him. Pepper seems to be somewhere upstairs.

Then he stares down at his plate, "It's okay.. Um, I-I don't really think Pepper and I are going to work out together." He says hesitantly.

My heart makes a little jump at hearing this news. Why? I should be sad for Tony, like a good friend would.

He does look kind of sad.. But there's also a different mood in the air, some sort of tension.

"Why not?" I ask before realizing, "I'm sorry that was a stupid question."
I frown and take a sip of my water. Why don't I know how to handle this?

"No, it's okay. I just don't see her the way I did? Something changed. She changed."

I put my hand on his shoulder, "You gotta tell her, Tony."

He nods a little. Just then Pepper walks into the hall and stops right at our table. For some reason she just stands there looking at me, as if she's waiting for me to move.

"Well.. Can I sit next to my boyfriend?" She asks, placing one hand on her hip.

I cringle my nose at her rudeness. How did this girl end up with Tony Stark?

I decide I shouldn't be in the middle of their problems so I get up and grab my plate, "Sure.. I'm done eating anyway." I mutter while giving Tony a meaningful look.

"No, Steve!" He shouts before realizing I'm walking away anyway, "You're still coming tonight, right?"

I can definitely hear him but I act like I don't. Of course I'm coming, but Pepper will get suspicious if I tell Tony that. He really needs to brake up with her, he deserves someone better.

~~~

Tony

Ugh. I am so so tired of Pepper right now. She keeps on blabbering about some new dress she bought this afternoon and she stole Steve's place. I didn't want him to go away, right now I'd much rather be with him than with Pepper..

At one point I can't even bare to hear her speaking anymore and I snap, "Can you be silent for just one second, please?"

The look in her eyes tells me I shouldn't have said that, but that's too late now.