Chapter 25

Tony

I spent the rest of the day lying around in bed, toying with the electronics in the room and playing card games with Steve. The doctors have told him he could leave, but he doesn't. Right now I feel way too fucked up to even think about if I'm still mad at him. He has been here with me the whole day and if I'm honest with myself, I don't even want him to go. It's all confusing as fuck, but Steve isn't pushing or anything, so I'm mostly thankful for him.

What I am worrying about is how my parents will catch the news that for one, I'm in Paris instead of in a New York boarding school and that I nearly got myself killed as well. And that is counting up to their supposed general dissatisfaction about me.

I just really wish I hadn't told Steve the whole deal, because he's making it hard for me to forget. On one hand it's nice to not have to hide things. To be able to feel slightly better when he tries to make me laugh or cheer me up with his stupidly adorable faces and small yet noticeable gestures, like how he goes out to bring me coffee because the food in the hospital is just awfully disgusting.

On the other hand, though, let's just say I'm not entirely sure about what kind of vision he has of me. I just don't want him to think I'm still that drug-addicted playboy from earlier in my high-school career.

Right now Steve and I just finished a game of cards and now I'm planning on toying around with my heart monitor for a bit -the beep it makes every second is more than slightly annoying- while Steve apparently decided to read a book.

"I didn't know people still did that, ready books made out of actual paper and all." I say sternly while grabbing a screwdriver to take a look at the mechanism of the heart monitor.

Steve snorts, "There's a lot you don't know."

I raise my eyebrows at his snarky comment, "Dary." I fail to hide the small smile on my face, "You're right, though."

Steve looks up to me for a moment and his lips curl into a smile as well when he sees mine. Then I shake my head as if to clear it and look down to my working hands again. He really is confusing the fuck out of me, lowkey making me feel like we were never together and that this is just us finding out that we like each other even though we hate each other..?

Okay back to the heart monitor.

Just as I got the thing open, the door is being swinged open and the next I know I'm stuck in Bruce's arms hugging me harshly.

"Uh.. hi?" I chuckle as I pat Bruce's shoulder, who let's go of me only enough to study my face with concern.

"God, you look awful." Is the first thing that comes out of his mouth.

"Well yeah, I'd not consider this my best day so far as well, but awful? Way to greet someone in a hospital." I can feel the smirk crawling up my face as I watch Bruce's face shift from shocked to surprised to amused.

Then he hugs me again and whispers, "Jesus Tony. You almost died."

"Okay, yeah I know." I can suddenly feel some of the tension from before leek back into my body like a fluid and shudder.

"You feeling okay now?" He asks and I nod, not wanting to concern him even more. And seen the circumstances, you could say I'm indeed feeling okay.

Then Clint pushes the door open a second time, making it smack against the wall next to it while yelling, "You made me loose, you coward!"

A laugh escapes from my mouth, as Clint barges over to sit down on the bed too and wraps his arms around me curtly, "Don't you fucking dare to ever let me win. And don't tell Nat I said that. I still owe her $50."