Chapter 27

//WARNING: includes abuse//

Tony

I feel like my anxiety is hitting full on as Jarvis is driving me home. As soon as Steve and I had said goodbye -to only see each other again on Monday-, my nerves just sort of broke.

I mean, I know seeing my parents again won't be nice, but every time before I could just tell myself now wasn't the time to worry. Well now, sitting in the car going straight towards the place I hate so much, seems an excellent time to freak out.

Trying to keep my breathing under control, I close my eyes and let myself lean back for a second.

"Are you alright, Mr. Stark?" Jarvis asks as he looks at me in the little mirror above the front glass of the car.

Taking a deep breath, I answer, "Yeah, yeah. I'm good... Jarvis?"

"Yes, sir?"

"Do you think mom and dad will be.. I don't know.. happy to see me? Glad I'm still alive, maybe?" I ask, my eyes still closed, hand on my chest.

"Maybe they won't show it, but I'm sure they are, sir." A somewhat sympathetic look was thrown my way before he says, "I'm very glad you're alive, sir."

A relieved yet sad laugh escapes from my mouth as I blink a few times and when I speak, my voice sounds small and timid, "Thank you.. I- I'm glad you're here, Jarvis. With our family and all."

"Always, sir."

The rest of the rit we drive in silence, my knee bopping up and down nervously while I watch the city racing past us. When Jarvis finally parks the car in the garage, I almost jump out of the car, not being able to spend another minute in the cropped space.

As I step into the elevator, my hands are trembling so much that I have to stick them into the pockets of my jeans. I take a few more deep breaths before the elevator pings and the doors slide open, revealing the too large living room.

It's empty.

No Maria and no Howard. Which wouldn't be strange under normal circumstances, but now? I'd rather have them here now to yell at me than being forced to procrastinate the whole encounter.

I take a deep breath and think of it. My parents are probably just working late or at some conference, not bothering being there for their child when he gets home after a week for being away.

Long thoughts short, I end up telling myself not to make a big deal out of it.

If he's surprised, Jarvis does a very good job at hiding it, because he simply walks out of the elevator with my overnight bags and says, "It's late. I suggest you go to sleep, sir."

I shake my head as if to clear it, "Yeah... you're right." I mumble, before realizing it is late indeed, "And uh, you too Jarvis, go to sleep, I mean. Please don't stay up working late or anything. Take some time off."

"No, sir. There's still a lot to be done-"

"Orders."

Jarvis nods before shooting me a smile, "Goodnight Tony."

"'Night, Jarvis."

~~~

When I wake, it is five in the morning. It was a nightmareless sleep, but I can't help feeling like it's some sort of calm before the storm. Knowing I won't be able to sleep again -jetlag combined with my sleep schedule that is all over the place-, I get up out of bed to take a refreshening shower.

Letting the warm rays glide over me, I ask myself what to do with my life now. Yes, that's very straightforward but it's also how I think. I've tried to not think about the consequences of my actions, but now that those are coming very close, it's getting harder and harder.