Arrival at Professor Oak's summer camp

"Well Red we're here," a woman said happily.

The young man named Red and his Pikachu looked out the window and looked around at the large summer camp around him. He wore a red jacket with black short sleeves, blue jeans, red and black shoes, and a red and white hat with a half Pokeball logo on it. Red inwardly groaned; sure it looked nice it was full of tall, shady green trees, there was a beautiful lake there, and all the people there young and old seemed to be having the time of their lives with their Pokemon. But this wasn't what he wanted to do with his time.

"Mom, why am I doing this?" Red asked.

"Cause Red it's a good experience, you'll swim, you'll earn some money," she replied.

"Mom I'm a Pokemon trainer, not a camp counselor."

"You're a capable young man Red, I'm sure you could easily manage both. And besides, this will be a great opportunity for you to make some friends."

Red wasn't so sure about that; it wasn't that he didn't like people he was just a loner by nature and he was perfectly content with the friendships he had with his Pokemon. The closest thing he had to a human friendship was with his rival Blue and he couldn't stand him half the time. "I don't know mom," he said.

His mom looked at him with a serious expression, "Red you are a great person, I'm sure if you could just let people see that they would love you. But you need to let people in," she said firmly.

Red looked back out the window at all the people, they all seemed pretty happy and friendly for the most part. "Alright I'll think about it," he said.

"Red please, I want you to promise me you'll at least try to connect with people," his mom replied with that same serious undertone. Red let out a sigh in defeat, "Alright mom, I promise I will at least try to make friends with people," he said. His mom put on a smile, "Good," she said, "You know Red, it was at this camp where Ash met Serena, for all you know you could end up with your own little girlfriend."

Red blushed a little at the statement, "C-come on Mom don't joke around like that."

"I'm not joking sweetie," she said with a big grin, "who knows, you could be quite the ladies man by the end of the summer." Red let out a small groan as he continued to blush at the statement. Him a ladies man? Yeah right.

A short distance away, another car pulled up and came to a stop. The back door opened and out stepped a young woman around 18 years old. She had long brown hair that reached below her shoulders, she wore a light blue tank top, a red mini skirt, light blue socks, white shoes, and a white and red hat with a premier ball logo on it. She took in a breath of fresh air as she looked at the camp around her. "Well, Leaf this is it. You ready for the summer?" her dad asked from the driver's seat.

"You bet I am," she replied with a smile as she pulled her bags out of the car.

"We're gonna miss you, baby, you have fun OK," her mom said from the passenger side.

"I will I'll be fine," she said.

"I hope so. See you later sweetheart," her mom said as they drove off.

Leaf continued to smile at them as they drove away.

"I love you Red," Red's mom said as she hugged him before he stepped out of the car.

"I love you too Mom."

Red closed the door and his mom drove off. Red looked towards the camp and he stopped in his tracks when he caught sight of Leaf; just a minute ago he had blown off the possibility of getting a girlfriend, but Red was totally stunned, he had never seen anyone so pretty in his entire life. As she walked by, she looked in his direction and gave a warm smile. Red felt a blush creep up onto his face and his heart beating a mile a minute. He continued to stand there frozen for a moment even after she was out of sight. Pikachu noticed this and gave him a light shock.

After snapping out of it, Red looked sheepishly at Pikachu who was resting on his shoulder, "thanks buddy," he said.

"Pikachu," the yellow mouse happily replied.

Later inside the cafeteria...

"Good morning everyone and welcome to Pokemon Summer Camp!" said Professor Oak as he stood in front of everyone in the cafeteria. Everyone cheered excitedly after he said that.

"We have so much great stuff planned for this summer and I can't wait to see the bonds forged between trainer and pokemon," he continued.

As Professor Oak continued to talk about different things Red was in the process of picking up dishes. He was now wearing the blue counselor T-shirt that other CITs and counselors were wearing in place of his red jacket. As he was putting another stack of dirty dishes on the cart he looked up to see Leaf putting a stack on the same cart. Red froze once again as he locked eyes with her. After a moment, Leaf gave him a friendly smile causing Red to blush lightly before turning to pick up more dishes. "Come on Red snap out of it," he thought.

Professor Oak then pulled out a piece of paper, "One last thing, we have a birthday, Matthew Granger turns 8 today so let's give him a big ol' happy birthday!"

Everyone stood up and began clapping in sync as they sang the special camp birthday song. Red meanwhile stayed silent and looked around uncomfortably as everyone continued to sing.

On the other side of the dining hall stood one of the counselors he had relatively long brown hair the camp counselor shirt a red hat with a black bill and Pokeball on it, black pants and red shoes. This young man was named Hilbert and he was about 19 years old and had been a counselor for 3 years.

He was approached by another counselor who was also a close friend of his. "Hey Nate," Hilbert greeted. "Hilbert how's it going man!?" Nate replied as the two high fived and did a bro hug.

"It's been going great! What have you been up to?" asked Hilbert.

"Traveling mostly, Sinnoh is an amazing region."

"Oh yeah, how's Rosa doing?"

"She's doing good, she'll be here later today or tomorrow. Where's Hilda at?" Nate asked. Hilbert motioned towards the middle of the dining room.

Red's silence was interrupted by a female voice. "Hey," she said. Red looked next to him to see a girl with long brown hair in a ponyta tail, short shorts, a black vest, and the counselor shirt. She was Hilda, Hilbert's girlfriend. "Buddy I can't hear you," she said.

"Uhhhh cause I'm not singing?" said Red.

"Come on it's the kid's birthday what's with you?" she asked.

Red stopped for a moment before replying, "I'm not really one to jump on the bandwagon."

"ah who cares? just sing, SING," she said harshly as she punched him in the arm, leaving Red in a frightened state.

She looked over to see Hilbert looking at her with an amused expression on his face before giving him a happy and mischievous grin. "Alright, folks have a great summer!" Professor Oak called out as everyone cheered along. Red looked around at everyone, "sighs this is gonna be a looong summer," he said to himself as he left the building.

Alright that's it for the first chapter please let me know what you think and in the words of Daithi de Nogla, I hope ye enjoy.