The Long Night

This could not be any worse. Ethan and Lyra were caught making love by Ethan's grandma and now they were seated in front of their parents about to have one of the worst talks of their lives. Ethan was particularly feeling Brian's glare burning into him. "Well you two, do you have anything to say for yourselves?" asked Jack.

"Could we just not have this talk?" asked Ethan.

"Could we just not have this talk?!" Brian reiterated, "You screw around with my daughter and you think you can get out of this?!"

Ethan became terrified as Brian got right up in his face, "You're lucky I haven't fed you to my Tyrantrum."

"Dad," Lyra tried to speak.

"No Lyra, I'm not about to sit by and let some boy have his way with you."

Ethan spoke up, "Excuse me bu-"

"Not a word out of you," Brian hissed, "now THIS, you two, it's over."

Ethan and Lyra looked at him wide-eyed. "Wait, Dad no!" Lyra said frantically.

"Yes, you two are not seeing each other like this anymore."

"No!" Lyra yelled as she latched onto Ethan.

"Lyra, you don't understand. You've never experienced this before you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into, the problems, the doors you're opening. I lost one love of my life I'm not gonna lose another!"

"What's it gonna take to make you understand that I'm not a little girl anymore!"

Brian was taken aback by her sudden outburst. "I know you want what's best for me but this is growing up, this is life and I have to experience it sooner or later! This summer, all this time spent with Ethan has been the best time of my life and I don't ever want to be without him."

"Lyra, you...you..." Brian tried to say.

Mira put a hand on his shoulder, "Hold on Brian, it's time for you to step back and take a breather," she said.

Brian reluctantly agreed and got up and the two walked outside. With them gone, for the time being, Jack decided to step in and speak up, "I'm sorry about that you two," he said.

"It's not your fault Grandpa," Ethan said quietly.

"Still, I feel like you both deserve better than that. Look, I speak for your grandma and me when I say that we care about you both very much. While we don't exactly agree with what you two were doing, the most important thing is that you're happy and since you've been together you've been the happiest we've ever seen you."

Ethan and Lyra started to feel better as he spoke, "You're in a relationship so we know you're gonna do what you want. All I ask is that you be careful when you do those kinds of things, you don't want any unwelcome surprises," Jack continued.

Ethan gave him a warm smile, "Thank you, Grandpa, we'll think about that from now on," he said.

Jack smiled in return and held out his arms for a hug, Ethan and Lyra both complied giving him a big squeeze which they broke after a moment. "You two can go for now. Don't worry about your dad Lyra, we'll have this all sorted out soon enough," said Jack.

"Ok, thank you," Lyra said before the two left.

The two breathed a sigh of relief when they got away. "Well that was horrible," said Ethan.

"Yeah," Lyra simply said.

"You know we are bigger morons than we ever realized."

"Huh?"