A Mixed Night

Wow this title sucks, but I can't come up with anything better so I'm going with it. Anyways, I hope ye enjoy

It was now late into the afternoon and things had settled down after the Gyarados incident. But some of the tension was still lingering, mainly among the people involved. Hilbert was currently with Hilda at the store in town gathering the last few things they needed for the mixer tonight, mainly alcohol and cups (A/N: in Kanto, the legal age is 18, and yes I know Hilda got drunk underage a couple of chapters back). Hilda wasn't there during the incident so Hilbert was telling her all about it. "So yeah you missed quite a bit of excitement today," said Hilbert.

"Sure sounds like it, is Red doing OK?"

"Yeah, he's gonna fine. I'm still surprised he was able to get up and battle like that after almost drowning. He was really strong too."

"It's always the quiet ones you have to watch out for," Hilda joked.

"Yeah, I see that now," Hilbert laughed.

"So what happened to Gyarados?" asked Hilda.

"Red sent him over to Professor Oak's lab, apparently Red has pokemon there that can keep him in check. I still wonder if that was really a good idea."

"If that Gyarados was taken down by Red's Pikachu alone then I bet he's got some real powerhouses in store."

Hilbert couldn't argue with that kind of logic, "That makes sense. There's really nothing we can do about it now, we'll just have to trust him," he said. The two walked into the parking lot and out to the truck they came in. "I can actually drink legally this time around," said Hilda.

"Just please don't get too wasted," Hilbert replied.

"I never took you for a drunk."

Hilbert and Hilda turned and saw N walking towards them. "Who's this guy?" Hilbert whispered.

"This is N, the guy I've been running into at Hill Valley," Hilda replied with a sigh.

Hilda also felt insulted by that earlier comment, "For the record, I'm not a drunk, all this is for the Mixer tonight," she said. N said nothing and walked up to them examining their haul. "OK then my apologies," said N. He then pulled out one of the bottles of alcohol, "With this much crappy vodka there are going to be two massively hungover camps tomorrow."

"Just one actually," Hilbert said irritated by his presence, "we of the Professor's camp are used to the bottom shelf." Hilbert usually wouldn't act like this to most people but he was really paranoid. It was clear that Hilda thought this guy was a weirdo but the possibility that his 'weirdness' could somehow charm his girlfriend and cause her to leave him was floating around in his mind.

"What if I point you in the direction of some top shelf, just sitting there collecting dust?" N asked. His attention was clearly directed at Hilda. Hilda liked the idea but was unsure if he was going to try something, she looked back towards Hilbert who grabbed her hand causing her to smile. "Then I guess we could save this stuff for a rainy day," she said. N smiled, for some reason it made him feel really good when she smiled. Hilbert noticed the way he was looking at her and scowled at him.

xxxxx

At the camp, the sun was going down and most everyone was getting ready for the mixer. In Leaf's cabin, the other girls were huddled around a mirror trying to apply makeup. Leaf rolled her eyes at them before leaving the cabin.

Everything in the dining hall was finally set up, even after the setbacks and craziness of the last two days they managed to pull it off. It looked really nice, Professor Oak even felt like they did better the second time. Red arrived at the scene early, his ankle injury severely limited what he was able to do so he had nothing better to do. It did nothing to ease the boredom though cause there was next to no one there except for a few counselors who were setting up the finishing touches. Red had to admit the place looked really nice, it was full of green and yellow and it really captured the woodsy image they were trying to convey. Lucky for him, Yellow wandered into the building, guess she didn't have anything better to do either. A big smile came over her face when she saw Red, "Hey Red!" she called running over to him. Red would never get used to the amount of energy she had. "How's it going Yellow?" Red asked.