prologue

(a/n - this is very very different from sm+vm :) and also please keep in mind that taylor and harry are not involved in the music industry in this story - as you can see, the title says alternate universe, so don't get too confused! it might be a little different but I'm very excited to start writing this and I really hope you guys enjoy! ily)

To paint, or not to paint?

To call Abigail, or not to call?

To order take out or not to order?

The bored state I am in right now is popping weird questions from my mind. After doing part of my work in Dad's company for the last month, he told me to get a break, go back home, get some rest and come back in two months, I can't say that it wasn't deserved, it's just not fun at all being bored during a long break. But here I am, back in my New York penthouse, doing nothing. Absolutely nothing.

All I've been doing was just thinking about random things, memories, elementary school, high school and just reflecting back on life in the past twenty one years. My eyes became heavy and sooner or later I'd fall asleep but something awoke me - it was a commotion outside, someone was talking, moving things, the sound of solid objects bumping against my wall. 

Picking my robe up, I decide to go check it out and see what the sound is all about, maybe my day would turn eventful for once. 

I turn my door knob only to see a huge couch on the front door and.. the door opposite of me is open. That interested me since it never had been opened. No one moved in here and the last person who did had to be evicted because the lack of bill payment. I wouldn't blame it on the old man either, the penthouse itself was damn expensive, I bet that dealing with the bills would be even worse, especially when living alone. I, on the other hand didn't to worry about it, the money I got from working last month was at a perfect amount.

I peer inside the open door, only to see several men moving in even more furniture and they don't notice me at all so I stayed there for a while until the men were done. I watch them go out the door without even recognizing my presence. Just when I was pretty sure the person wouldn' tmove in today, the sound of a woman made me snap my attention to the  place the chat was coming from.

"I really hope you enjoy your new place, sir, The Acacia Penthouse hasn't been used in a while, so I apologize before hand, if there are uncleaned cobwebs, the house phone is on the kitchen to the left wall, please dial operator if there are any problems or any questions that you might like to inquire-"

"Mariel?" I call. I recognize the woman right away, when her appearance comes in sight. She's the apartmenet manager, a great business woman that Dad got in touch with when I was apartment hunting almost about a year ago.

"Taylor - oh this is my friend, Taylor, she lives in here," Mariel says pointing to the door of my apartment, just opposite of the new neighbor. "And let us continue." She continues speaking, progressing her way towards the door with the person, moving closer to me since I am standing right in front of the opposite penthouse. This is when I notice the person - a boy, I'd say he was partially muscular, undeniably attractive. He wore a button up long sleeved shirt. His apparel style seemed dark, due to the fact that the clothing he wore were all black. Everything about him seemed dark and colourless apart from his vibrant green eyes that shone like emerald in a coal mine. His chocolate brown curls are definitely one of his main features, a quiff lays on top of his hair and his level of attractiveness was highly undeniable.

I had to say that I expected him to introduce himself, but he just walked passed me, going inside the open door of his new apartment, just like that, without even thinking twice, I step through the door with him, following Mariel's footsteps, I caught him eyeing me but I don't care. Anger bursts through my sense. Personally, nothing is more rude than bluntly not introducing themselves - it's an impolite manner to me, especially to people they don't even know - maybe he doesn't like me, but why so quick to judge? I actually wanted to know more about him, everything about him was intriguing, from his appearance to his demeanor and it seemed like everything he is had something more to find out about.

"Are you gonna care to introduce yourself?" I ask impolitely, but surely it doesn't really matter right now, I do feel a little bit of guilt but it vanished just as fast as it came.

"No" He replies bluntly, making my anger shoot up even higher.

"Excuse me?" I growl.

Mariel's eyes shout desperation and mine shouts anger. I know that she's wanted a customer for this penthouse for a long time and I wouldn't want to ruin it for her.

But before I can come up with an apology, the boy speaks. "It's Harry." He chuckles, finally answering my question, I don't know why he found that so funny, but I sure as hell didn't at all. I raise an eyebrow, expecting a full response.

"You really are a picky lady aren't you?" He complains and I roll my eyes, still expecting an answer.

"It's Harry Styles." He sighs.