Chapter 12

"Miss, your breakfast is ready." I hear a timid voice from afar say the same sentence repeatedly. 

My body feels like lead as I try to move and my eyelids are just as heavy. I stir slightly and force my eyes open only to be met with bright sunlight. It can't be. There is no sun light on this Godforsaken planet. 

I sit up straight and wince at the pain in my side but I am too distracted to bother. I stare at the sky in wonder and suddenly my eyes are blurry and I have to blink. A single tear rolls down my cheek and I quickly wipe it away because the Plutonian attendant is scrutinizing me. The ceiling above is bright blue, peppered with white clouds that remind me of cotton candy and sunlight peaks out from behind one, flooding the room with it's warmth.

"Good morning, Aria. I had to inject you with sleep serum last night because you were in a state of panic but you should feel better after a good meal," I hear a familiar voice and suddenly the bright sky isn't enough to block out the dark memories of last night. Of how I nearly died at Lucian's hands.

My head snaps in his direction and the movement causes my neck to sting. I bring my hand up to it and for a minute it is not my hand I feel but Lucian's digging into my skin, cutting off my circulation. I remember fighting him off with pure luck and winning but I don't remember being put to sleep.

"Breakfast is served. You'd better eat properly before your training today," Lucian says and nods his head at the male attendant who is standing by my side. He rushes away quickly and soon we are left alone in the room.

My fists clench and unclench as I look around for anything to defend myself with should he try to attack me again.

"Aria, come here and have a seat. I need you to tell me about last night," Lucian's voice is tense and I can tell he is losing his patience. 

I shake my head to clear my thoughts and calm myself. First I had to fight off Michael, then Lucian and god knows who else. I can't help but wonder if I am really cut out for this.

I glance at Lucian. He is conscious and cheerful unlike the sleeping murderous Lucian last night. He wouldn't harm me in this state, would he?

He lifts the lids off a few dishes and the smell of baked rhye, cooked meat and cream rolls flood my nostrils all at once. I swallow the saliva that has pooled in my mouth and stand up. I suppose I deserve a good breakfast after the hell I've been through.

In the slave quarters we start the day by brushing our teeth and washing up, it is so ingrained in me that I automatically do so before sitting down in front of Lucian and pile up my plate with food. 

I am too distracted with the rich sweetness of the cream rolls, it is only when Lucian speaks that I am reminded of his presence. 

"Does this sunlight remind you of home?  I programmed it specifically for you," He says sweetly and I frown at him. 

He is being too nice and over indulgent with me which makes it look like he is over compensating some how. I study his guilt ridden face and the dark circles under his eyes that I have never noticed before. 

He looks more tired and aged than he did yesterday. My eyes flit to his hands that hold on to his fork and knife. They are both shaking slightly. 

"Are you on drugs?" I ask, dropping my cream roll.

His eyes widen in surprise and he shakes his head. "No, why would you think that?"

"Well you were, not exactly yourself last night and your hands are shaking. Not to mention you look like you haven't slept in weeks." 

I've heard stories of the drugs some of the Plutonian's take after they come back from a war mission. 

The older slaves have spoken about how their masters completely lose themselves once they become addicted. They don't sleep, or eat and some have even jumped off the carts on the tracks to the South. They run into the darkness and their bodies are found, stiff and frozen a few days later.