Chapter 61

Remulus, Cassandra and I sit silently in Lucian's glider in agitated silence. I grind my teeth together, watching his pale blue eyes scan Cassandra's paternity test. 

"Why did you take this test? Did Lazarus order it? Or Physus?" Lucian finally addresses Cassandra and she shivers under his stare. 

"No one ordered it. I know they will take a paternity test after I give birth and due to my circumstances, wanted to be sure before Commander Physus found out," She admits. 

"It seems you made the right choice," Lucian murmurs and then he runs a hand through his hair looking deep in thought. "Remulus, how many people in the medical center were exposed to this news?"

"Only three; the nurse who ran the test, the lab technician and an overseeing staff nurse. I've dealt with them personally, doubt they will be dumb enough to tell anyone after that," Remulus replies quickly. 

"Good but Lazarus has highly ranked medical personnel working for him in the center as well so you need to keep an eye on them. Although he may already know by now," Lucian says.

Cassandra gasps as soon as he says this and I see tears flowing down her cheeks again. I put my hand around her shaking form and rub her back, trying to calm her. 

"How could he know so quickly?" She stutters and Lucian doesn't reply.

Remulus side eyes me and I immediately realize that the whole medical center must be under strict surveillance which means any General or the Trinity might have already witnessed everything. Even if they haven't seen it now, they will definitely have access to it later. 

"What will he do if he finds out?" I'm almost too afraid to ask. 

Lucian leans back and stares at me intensely. "It's happened a few times before and lets just say there's no one around to tell those tales anymore."

My fingers around Cassandra's shoulders tighten and I hold her tightly while she bursts into full blown sobbing. 

"Not my baby. Please I don't care about myself. I just want my baby to live," She rocks back and forth in my arms and I stare at Lucian in concern. 

"It is quite the predicament," He says while he studies my face, his eyes distant and unreadable. "He wont risk his engagement with Luna. Power means more to him than anything or anyone." 

A smile slowly stretches across his cheeks and he suddenly looks delighted which confuses me. "Although this situation could work for us."

"PG Lucian?" Remulus stares at Lucian looking worried and I can't help but feel the same way. He is smiling like a crazy person right now.

Lucian pulls out his communicator and dials a number while the three of us watch him in trepidation. I nearly jump out of my skin and Cassandra sucks in a breath when we hear him address Lazarus. 

"Lazarus, brother I need to have a word with you," He pauses and my heart beats furiously in my chest. For a fleeting moment I wonder if Lucian is going to turn Cassandra in. 

"Yes, it's urgent. It would be best if we meet in Central Command in the White region now. I'm on my way as we speak." He cuts the line and I nearly burst out in fear. 

"Why did you call him? If you tell him about this Cassandra is as good as dead," I whisper in a broken voice but he just shakes his head. 

"He was the only one already in Central Command which means he might be the only other person who knows. The only advantage we have on our side is the fact that the three of us know as well," Lucian replies. "Don't worry I'll handle it."