Chapter 75

Everything is exactly as it always was, the benches, the sand laden pit, the exclusive seating area, even the dark foreboding sky above. I look around me, drinking in the murky grey color of the tall pit walls that promise no escape. The steel bench that creaks under my weight feels like it is about to give way under my pressure.

My body feels heavy with guilt ridden anxiety as I watch the match between two fighters; Cristina and some other girl I don't recognize. This fight is as bloody as I'd expected with Cristina winning after just a few minutes. The loud horn blares, indicating her victory and the large crowd stands abruptly, erupting with glorious approval. 

The humans and Plutonians are wild today and the stands are packed to the brim with spectators. The benches behind have been extended to it's maximum capacity and there are two huge monitors that have been set up on opposite ends, overlooking the pit. We were told that they have been broadcasting all the matches today all over the planet and the universe.

Plutonians from all over the galaxy are currently tuned in to watch today's matches, most likely for the most anticipated last match. The one that will decide the empire's new leadership.

Which makes 'S's words more and more ridiculous as I ponder them. How are we going to escape with the entire universe watching? And what distraction could be big enough to allow our escape and also prevent Lazarus from killing Lucian? 'S' can't be expecting us to just waltz out of here without arousing suspicion right?

"Stop shaking so much, you're making the bench rattle," Rosie mutters in a tense voice making me look at her. It's clear that she is just as nervous as I am only much better at hiding it. I quickly stop myself and the bench stops squealing.

"Sorry."

"It's fine. I just wish they handed out some drinks or snacks or something. I suddenly feel like snarfing down ten wargol burgers," Rosie grumbles. 

We lift our legs just as a Plutonian attempts to cross us but he trips and I hold my breath anticipating for him to accuse us and demand punishment but he doesn't do either. He clutches the bench between our legs to steady himself and leans in for what feels like a second.

"Keep your hands on the benches. It's going to be an exciting day," He says and I frown at him in confusion. He is dressed in casual attire that covers his arms and head, I can barely make out his face.

I lean to the side to get a good look at him but he gets up quickly and walks away. 

"What was that about?" Rosie eyes him suspiciously with her good eye and I shrug my shoulders. 

"Weird," I reply but my fingers automatically clutch the edge of the bench tightly.

"They're setting up something new," Mike says and he points at one of the large screens suspended in the air.

The three of us were guided here to sit while Josephine, Jade and Joon are seated across the stadium. Ron is sitting on the far corner near another exit.

I see a pair of Plutonian officers replace the weapons on the wall with larger, more menacing  looking weapons and keep my eyes on the dusty ground as a plethora of emotions flood through me at once. 

This is the place where it all started. The place where my life as a slave changed. This is the place where I won my first match which lead to me meeting Lucian, lead to me joining the army, falling in love and now I'm here about to watch the Plutonian I love fight with the Plutonian I hate with my entire being.

The bench starts creaking again and Rosie casts me a sharp look. I stop shaking and look around, scanning the exits. There are two Plutonians standing at the one nearest to us and about the same number guarding all the others.