Chapter 27

Meeting Lazarus here has to be one of the worst circumstances I can think of. And to think we were supposed to explore the city and just enjoy a night out together because Lucian felt thankful to me.

I shift uncomfortably behind him and realize that this outing has been anything but comfortable so far. I feel extremely out of place and every time I see a Plutonian look at me I fear that I am about to be punished.

I look over the glass balcony and see the streets as tiny lines below. The city is so beautiful but I still feel as trapped as I did in the slave quarters. From the corner of my eye I can see a few Plutonians staring at us from the inside and I can't help but feel that me being here is drawing too much attention. Why did Lucian insist on bringing me here of all places?

I sigh wistfully wishing I could break the glass barrier and jump off. Being this close to Lazarus makes my skin crawl and stomach churn with an immense amount of hatred.

"You know what dogs are, right?" He leans to the side so that he can get a good look at me and I give him a pointed look.

Of course I remember what dogs are. I remember the adorable husky my neighbors on Earth used to have. My siblings and I would run outside every evening just to play with it. Memories of the slobbering dog running after us and catching the dog bone we used to throw at it brought a smile to my face.

Maybe Lazarus meant it as an insult but I definitely didn't see it as one. I loved that dog.

Not getting the reaction he wanted Lazarus simply leaned back and turned to Lucian instead.

"It must be boring to be on a date with someone who can't speak. Why don't you join us, Lucian?" He gives us both the most welcoming smile and I suddenly feel worried that Lucian will agree.

"No, I wouldn't want to intrude on your dinner,"Lucian dismisses him politely and I almost breathe a sigh of relief.

I glance at his companion and it is only then that I realize he is sitting next to Luna who is looking at us crossly. More like looking at me crossly.

She catches my stare and immediately looks away and now I feel even more awkward.

There is something about the way she was staring at me and Lucian. Almost as if she is angry to see us.

This is not the first time I feel suspicious about her relationship with Lucian and now I wonder if he brought me here on purpose because he knew she would be here.

I know we are both using each other but I don't think I am comfortable with him using me to make her jealous. Especially since it involves Lazarus.

"We have another table," Lucian gestures for me to follow him and I am about to when Luna speaks up suddenly and stops him in his tracks.

"Oh come now, Lucian. We haven't chatted like this in so long. Please join us for a drink. I want to meet Aria as well," She gives me a hasty smile. 

I cast her a querulous look and then back at Lucian who is staring at her as well. 

"Okay, one drink," He says and my heart falls to my stomach. 

He takes a seat across from Lazarus and that leaves me with the seat facing Luna. I sit down quietly and stare at the table. A waiter approaches us and asks for our orders and Lucian answers immediately, already knowing what he wants. 

I stare at the menu given to me in confusion, my mind goes blank as everyone focuses their attention on me, waiting for me to order. 

I focus on the words and the names of dishes I've never had before and swallow hard.