Chapter 31

"Of course Cassandra invited me. She's just forgotten, that silly girl."

I keep my breathing calm and take a huge gulp of the purple liquid in the cup I hold. The audacity of this girl never fails to surprise me. 

Stela had apparently been passing by when she saw Cassandra and I walk into Humanoid and disappear. When Ron told her the cafe was closed, she'd made a fit and threatened to report us for having an illegal gathering to plot against the Plutonian's. Not wanting to draw any unnecessary attention from the authorities, Ron had given up and brought her downstairs to join us. 

"I swear I didn't tell her anything," Cassandra says as she leans against the wall beside me where we both watch Stela forcing her way into a conversation with the people standing by the table. They nod at her not looking very interested in her explanation.

"I know. Talk about horrid luck. Of all the days she had to catch us out together, it had to be tonight,"I sigh. She is the definition of a Plutonian worshiper and the last person Rosie would have wanted here.

"I take it you two are not the biggest Stela fans," Rosie takes a sip of her drink and looks at us. 

"She's the one who ratted on me when I was thirteen," I explain to Rosie, my eyes never leaving the smiling Stela who has her hand on some guy's shoulder now. 

"She's not too bad if you keep your distance," Cassandra being the amicable one tries to paint her in a different light. "She can be entertaining at times."

"She sure is entertaining. She has her hands all over Jade. If Josephine sees this, she will break her arm off," Rosie's boyfriend Matt says. 

"So how did you join the army?" I ask Matt wanting to change the topic. 

He looks into his cup and Rosie's gaze falls to the floor when he answers. "I was nominated after a year as a fighter." 

My chest tightens when I realize that he must have been nominated by a Plutonian, which means he is a Plutonian's lover or fixer like Asta. But if he belongs to a Plutonian how can he be in a relationship with Rosie?

I immediately look at Rosie who has a sad smile on her face. 

"We became friends when we were still slaves," Rosie says and I see that Matt has put his arm around her shoulders. "Our five minute conversations during our morning breaks were the only thing that kept me going everyday."

Matt's eyes light up and he smiles warmly at the memory. 

"When did you two become a couple?" Cassandra asks as she leans in looking interested. 

"I became a fighter first and then Rosie joined me a few months later when she turned eighteen. We became closer and I finally professed my feelings to her after I nearly lost my life during a tough fight. In those moments where my life flashed before my eyes, there was only one face I saw. I then realized that I had loved her from the time we met and surviving the fight gave me a chance to be with the one I loved. Of course I had to take it," Matt said and his grip around her shoulders tighten possessively. 

"And then he was nominated by Sergeant Violet," Rosie says and Matt's face falls. 

"As his lover?" Cassandra's stutters with wide eyes. 

Rosie and Matt only nod their heads solemnly. 

"But it's a part of life here. He's lucky to be nominated and out of the pits anyway," Rosie tries to lighten the mood after seeing Cassandra's and my horror stricken faces. "Who knows once Sergeant Violet gets sick of him, he wont need to serve her anymore."