Chapter 64

My thoughts are a jumbled mess as I stare at the words before me in incredulity. Why would Lucian agree to something like this? What does it all mean? Was I just an experiment to him? 

My chest throbs, it feels like a knife has punctured through my ribs, twisting slowly into my heart. 

Why does he want to bring in more humans? I blink a few times, hoping that his name would morph into Lazarus or Luna or anyone else that I don't care about but it doesn't change. 

Honestly, it would make much more sense for Lazarus to root for such an iniquitous arrangement but not Lucian. The only reason why Lucian would support something like this is because he truly believes it is right .

I know him and his inherent sense of self righteousness. 

He must believe he is doing the right thing by agreeing to bringing more humans here. It is just like when he told me he had prepared the new quarters for the two thousand humans they brought from Earth recently. 

How many others are they planning to bring in and more importantly why? Lucian's statement about ensuring the Plutonian's survival and ours echoes in my head but it makes no sense to me. I need to tell Rosie about this. She might be able to make some sense of it.

But the problem is I'm not required in Onyx anytime this week. In fact I don't know when they will call me in next.

The sound of something rattling outside brings me to my senses and I exit the folders and turn off Lucian's computer in a maddening rush. I whip around just in time to see Cyscus open the door and call out for me. 

"Mistress Aria, are you decent? I've brought you your breakfast."

I scuttle to the washroom silently while he knocks on the door.

"Mistress Aria?" His voice is laced with concern and he peeps inside, looking around for me. He catches me on my way to the bathroom and I freeze in place, staring at him. 

"Cyscus. Good morning. I was just going to wash up," I straighten up and adjust my disheveled night suit. 

He looks at me and then his eyes go to Lucian's library and his table. I hold my hands behind me and slowly slip off the finger pad 'S' gave me. I hold in the palm of my hands, silently praying that Cyscus will not notice. 

He walks inside and places the tray on the table. He adjusts the lights to make it brighter and I use the opportunity to rush into the bathroom, hide the device and brush my teeth. He is still there when I come out and he pulls out a chair for me to sit. 

I stare at him warily as I watch him pour a hot drink into a cup. He then stirs it rapidly with a spoon and a loud tinkling sound echoes throughout the room while he moves in haste. 

"Master Lucian told me you have a headache. He instructed me to prepare this concoction for you so that you will feel better. It is a powerful blend of herbs used to ease muscle aches and is perfect for migraines." Once he is done, he pushes the chair outwards, waiting for me to sit. 

I walk towards him slowly and take a seat. The concoction Cyscus prepared consists of a clear dark brown liquid. It looks like tea. I pick up the cup and take a small sip. 

Not only is the pungent liquid hot, it's bitter taste is absolutely horrible. My eyes crease in distaste and I almost spit it out. 

"It's not exactly delicious but it works wonders," He smiles at me and then he pushes a plate of food in front of me. 

"Don't worry Cyscus, I'm feeling much better after getting more sleep," I say gratefully and then I dig into the delicious sandwich he prepared. 

He is staring at me happily, looking proud at the way I am devouring the food and I almost choke under his attention. I'm not used to someone studying me while I stuff my face. Lucian never does that.