Chapter 39

A raven headed apparition jumps in from my left and I quickly aim the launcher at its chest.

Although it's just a simulation I feel the ricochet from the blast reverberate down my arm causing it to shake slightly. In a blink of an eye the raven disappears and another creature attempts to assault me from behind.

I twirl around on the heel of my foot and fire and this process continues as I go into automatic mode. My body does the work but my mind could well enough be on another planet.

For the past three days all I could think about was Lazarus and what he told me in that dark room. The more I thought about it the more absurd the whole thing sounded. Why would he admit all those things to me? Crimes that were so treasonous they would undoubtedly get him in trouble.

He hardly knew me and yes he blackmailed me with Cassandra but how could he be so sure I wouldn't tell Lucian? How would he know if I did?

I can't help but think that maybe he told me all those crazy things just to throw me off somehow. Why would someone as powerful as him need to tell me anything?

Wondering about his motives made my head hurt and all I had was a gut feeling telling me I should never trust him. This is the only reason why I haven't said anything to Lucian even though these secrets have been burrowing holes in my head like a swarm of ants.

After I finish in the training cubicle I walk outside and take a sip of water at the dispenser. A few fighters pass by and their chatter dwindles when they catch me looking. They rush away and my heart sinks.

Everyone has been avoiding me since Lucian came into our training center that day and not so subtly warned Leslie. Even Rosie refuses to talk to me. 

I catch her training in one of the cubicles and let out a small huff of disappointment. She was the only proper friend I made here and our friendship was extinguished before it could even fully develop. In a way I was partially to blame for lying to her about Lucian but I never expected the fighters to react like this. 

The whole thing is so hypocritical it irritates me immensely. More than half the humans here want to be picked up by Plutonian's so they can join the army but just because I am associated with a member of the Trinity that makes me an outcast?

Where is the logic in that? There are no different than I am yet they stand around and nod my way with judgmental looks when I pass by? 

Even the newly recovered Leslie avoids me like a disease. My fingers tighten around the knob of the dispenser as I wonder why I am so angry with them. It's not like I was close to many fighters but the mere fact that the humans have ousted me like this feels like a betrayal from my own species. 

It hurts because the person I am closest to now isn't even human and yet Lucian has been nicer than most of the fighters here. My whole paradigm is shifting and I find it disconcerting. I don't want to lose focus on my main focus of leaving this place.

I don't realize that someone is standing behind me until a hear them clearing their throats. I turn around and quickly move to the side when I see a group of fighters waiting. I recognize the dark haired boy as the one who defeated Micheal but he refuses to even look at me.

In fact the four of them just stand there silently looking at the floor. I frown in confusion and then I hear Rosie's voice.

"If you're done you should leave. Unless you think you now have special privileges over the dispenser as well." Her strides are wide as she by passes them and takes a sip for herself. 

"I'm not exactly blocking," I state defiantly. I'm literally standing about three feet away. 

"Guys don't piss her off. Unless you want to die in your next match." Rosie says sarcastically as she wipes her mouth with the palm of her hand.