Chapter 49

I step out of Cassandra's place feeling nervous from head to toe. Lucian is waiting by the driveway, the soft thrumming of his glider fills the air and makes everything feel more real.

I take in a deep breath as I walk over to the passenger's side and then open the door. Lucian drove today, so there no driver, just the two of us. Alone.

On our first date. 

I bite my lip hard wondering how the night will pan out. The idea of our date scares me just as much as meeting Mike and Joon does. 

The cool air from inside hits my skin and Lucian immediately turns my way when I get in. I avoid his gaze and take a seat. The short light pink dress Cassandra forced me to wear rides up, exposing my thighs and I adjust it quickly. 

"Hi," Lucian finally says after a long pause and I finally gather enough courage to face him. 

I turn his way and the stunned look on his face makes me want to get out of the glider and run away. 

"Do I look bad?" I can't help but ask. 

Lucian just stares at me for what feels like an eternity and then he finally speaks. 

"Quite the contrary. Forgive me for staring. I've never seen you so...made up," He stutters and I feel like killing Cassandra. 

I knew she did too much. She forced me to wear lipstick, blush and she even drew dark lines around my eyes. He must think I look like one of those clowns at the theme park. 

"Can you give me a minute? I'll just go and wash some of it off," I quickly say and he grabs my hand before I move.

"No, you are not touching a thing. I'm just surprised how different you look tonight, Aria. Trust me you are beautiful all the time, bare face and all but this...this just hits different. I like it," He says and then he releases my hand. 

He pulls out of the driveway and we head down a path that leads to the city center. The ride to Onyx is silent and every once in a while I sneak a glance at Lucian only to find him doing the same. 

"We're here," He says and then his gaze falls to my lips and I notice his grip tightens around the handles of the glider. 

He quickly looks away when an attendant knocks on his window and then he gets out. My heart has already started it's frantic dance as I follow suit. I wonder if it will pop out of my chest by the end of tonight but when Lucian's hand locks around mine, it slows slightly in content.

We walk through the dark reflective glass that make up the entrance to Onyx and I am surprised to see the dim restaurant already filled with guests. 

"I made a reservation," I tell Lucian and pull him towards the line of Plutonian's and some humans standing in front of a tall, lanky Plutonian who is reading a list. He must be the host I spoke to. 

We approach him and he nearly jumps back in shock when he recognizes Lucian and immediately guides us to our table even though there was a line of guests waiting to be seated.

He leads us to a secluded table by the windows which I thought were previously fully booked. 

"I think you made a mistake. Our table is supposed to be near the bar," I say to him.

"Oh yes that was the original arrangement, my apologies, we weren't aware that Master Lucian was dining with you. We know how Master Lucian loves the view by the window so we made sure he had the best view tonight." 

"I already do," Lucian answers looking down at me and I'm so utterly thankful for the dim lighting because I'm sure my face must be even more red than the blush Cassandra flooded my cheeks with.