Chapter 15

I jolt awake from a restless bout of sleep and want to slap myself for being so reckless. My head immediately whips to the left to see Lucian sleeping peacefully with soft snores escaping his lips. 

I sigh in relief and sink back against my pillow. Honestly I would be more comfortable with an impenetrable barrier between us. My fingers dig around the fabric under my pillow and I relax when I feel the smooth surface of the syringe against my skin. 

I look up at the starry sky that is his ceiling and then my eyes automatically fall on the darkened corner in his room where the library hides. I sit up slowly and silently all the while keeping my eyes on him but he is in a deep slumber unbeknownst to my movements.

I briefly consider injecting him with the sleep serum anyway, afraid that he will wake up and catch me but immediately feel guilty at the thought. If he ever found out, he would never trust me again so I decide against it.

Instead I make a decision to look at the books first before scoping out the documents. That way if he woke up and caught me I would just pretend I was looking for a book to read because I couldn't sleep. 

I nod my head and lick my lips in anticipation, satisfied with my plan. As soon as my feet hit the cold marble floor I suck in a breath and tip toe to Lucian's large cupboard. With my eyes on him I pull on the drawer that he keeps his body suit in. 

A soft chime rings when his drawer automatically slides open and I freeze. My body shakes with fear as he shifts slightly causing the sheets to ruffle. He stretches his hands behind him and then one hand falls to his side while the other falls over his forehead covering his eyes partially. I peer at them to make sure they are still closed and then slowly pull the body suit out of the drawer. 

I quickly get up and walk to the other end of the room where his book shelves are. I hold out the body suit expecting the place to light up but nothing does and then I realize that no lamp lighted up as I walked here. 

I look at the suit and shake it tirelessly but nothing happens. Feeling impatient and angry I am about to walk back to the cupboard when an idea hits me. I slip my legs into the pants of the suit and then slide my arms into its sleeves. It is a bit loose and the pants are too long they pool at my feet. 

I take a step forward and feel the suit tighten around my body. When I take another step I notice a small blue lamp by the table light up. The corners of my mouth lift up into a smile and I take a few more steps forward. Sure enough three consecutive lamps light up after the other one goes out. I cast a wary glance at Lucian one more time and then make my way to his library.

As soon as I reach it I take careful steps across the floor making sure I don't cross the side near his documents. I remember him telling me that the library floor tracks footsteps and I do not want mine to be anywhere near the bookshelf he told me not to touch. 

I scan through the first shelf I come across. There are numerous books, some about the history of the Plutonian civilization, others about
Plutos geography and planets I've never heard of. My eyes flit across the various book titles. There are hardly any story books,most of these were educational material that could be of use to me. 

I take a step to the other shelf and begin to look through each row of books. There are so many books on so many planets that my head begins to spin. I wonder how many planets the Plutonians have been able to colonize and if it is limited to our galaxy alone.

My fingers run across the roughened edges of all the worn out book spines. When I see the word Earth, my fingers stop moving and clutch the hard cover painfully. I pull it out slowly and a lump forms in my throat as I see the green segments of land separated by blue oceans.