Chapter 52

It's been three months since my encounter with Matt and his secret group of rebels. It's also been three months since I last saw the vastness of outer space. 

Everyday since our excursion to Cixin has been a monotony of lessons, fitness training's and fixing up space crafts that need repairs. I wasn't allowed on missions till I passed my assessments but after all those grueling sessions, I now know how to operate a space craft and grow food on board.

I learnt how to cultivate algae and grow them in aerobic environments and I learnt how to fix up a generic space ship from scratch. 

Despite all this invaluable information, it still irked me to no end that I was stuck here on the ground and it doesn't help that Lucian has been some what distant ever since I gave my speech to the humans. 

Okay, maybe I have been the distant one after I found out that it was him who ordered the execution of the humans. I just can't figure him out.

Through out my time in the army base, I've met Plutonian's who avoid humans, tolerate us or just use us for their gain. 

They are so entitled and they all act like every other species in the galaxy owes them for their 'benevolent' presence.

Lucian is the only one whom I've seen being emphatic and kind to the Cixin representatives and he is one of the only Plutonian's who treats Remulus like an equal among st his squad members. I used to think Plutonian's only discriminated against humans but it slowly became apparent that the half breeds weren't treated the same either. 

Remulus had told me once that if he wasn't in Lucian's squad he would never have been promoted to a second rank Commander. 

I've just finished a long day of mechanics and am now on the way to meet Cassandra at the medical facility in the human quarters. Apparently she has some big news she can't wait to share with me, so I told her I would meet her there after my usual visits to Rosie.

I walk through the smooth glass doors and head towards the lifts. Rosie is still in a coma, so she's still being monitored in an intensive care unit. Once I'm outside, I take off my shoes and wash my hands. 

I walk in and am surprised to see the unit crowded with people. 

Matt, Joon, Jade, Josephine and a few others I don't recognize stand around her bed. They turn around and I see Matt's face strewn with tears. It is only then that I notice Rosie is sitting up and leaning against the bed rest. 

My heart jumps to my throat as our eyes meet. Rosie's left eye is half shut, the wound over that eye has scarred so badly that the medical staff said she may never be able to fully open it again. There is a jagged scar that stretches from her left cheek, runs over her eyelids and disappears into her dark hair. 

I can barely look at her without feeling torn with guilt. My vision blurs with tears and I nearly choke in relief once I reach her bed side. 

"Aria," Rosie says, her voice ruff from the lack of use.

"You're awake," I state the obvious in a voice thick with emotion. Looking at her, I realize a bond has formed between us after our last match. I can't explain how I will do anything for this girl who sacrificed her life for mine.

Rosie smiles at me, her left cheek barely lifts from the effort. "Can you guys give us a minute?"

Mike and the rest leave us right after she has spoken and I walk to her side. 

"How have you been?" She asks me and this time I can't stop the tears from rolling down my cheeks. 

"Are you seriously asking me that? I should be asking you that question."