Chapter 56

I wake up feeling extremely tired, like I'd spent the whole night running around the training center and then I feel a strange ache between my legs. My cheeks turn red and memories from last night make me smile. 

I turn around to face Lucian while keeping my naked body hidden under the sheets. It's weird that I feel so shy even though we've seen every inch of each other.

Lucian is lying on his side, facing me. His eyes are closed and his silvery white hair hangs over his fore head, falling across his eyes. He breathes in deeply and I watch his chest puff out and sink in simultaneously. 

He looks so at peace and strangely more handsome than ever. It feels like I am looking at him for the first time. My heart skips a beat as I think about the pleasure he gave me last night and my body suddenly throbs to unite with his again. 

I look down, feeling extremely embarrassed while the smile on my face stretches even wider.

"What are you smiling about?" Lucian's husky morning voice startles me and my eyes shoot up in alarm. 

"Nothing," I quickly say while I squeeze the sheets to my chest. 

Lucian's eyes fall to my hands and then my reddened cheeks. He then smiles knowingly and even though his face is fatigued with sleep, that smile still manages to take my breath away. 

"Is it really nothing?" He teases, scooting closer. 

I laugh nervously and move back but he pulls me towards him and wraps me in a hug. Fireworks explode in my chest and my heart beats rapidly as I bury my head into his neck. He strokes my hair lovingly and kisses my head. 

"I could get used to waking up like this," Lucian murmurs and I can't help but agree. 

He wraps his arms around my body, squeezing me against him softly and our bodies fit together like two pieces of a puzzle. I don't feel afraid or shy anymore. Everything just feels perfect. 

"We have a long day ahead of us," He sighs, sounding slightly annoyed. "Our squad will have to prepare a thorough report on our mission and present it to the war council." 

I've learnt about the war council during my initiation. They consist of the highest ranking commanders and they're involvement is crucial in all major decisions.

"The war council? Will you tell them your suspicions about who caused the accident?" I ask him.

"No, they are the most influential commanders after the Generals and the Trinity. I will need their majority vote to become first in command or sole commander but I can't bring up such a dangerous insinuation without concrete proof," Lucian runs his fingers through my hair, absent-mindedly sorting out the knots while he speaks. 

I nod my head against the skin of his neck. "We should get ready then."

"Yeah, we should," He agrees but he makes no effort to release me or move. 

"Lucian," I stifle a laugh at his stubbornness. I push him with my hands but his body could have been a boulder, it doesn't move one bit. 

"I think it would be more efficient if we got ready together. Don't you think?" He teases as he finally releases me. 

"It wont make a difference," I say smiling. I get up and he grabs me without warning, making me shriek. 

He carries me to the bathroom, dragging the bed sheet that is wrapped around me with us. I laugh in his arms as his fingers dig into my sides, tickling me.

"Lucian, stop it!" I cry, my eyes already in tears. 

He finally releases me once we are in the bathroom and we both brush our teeth side my side. I can't help but smile every time we stare at each other.