Chapter 25

I hear a knock on our door and immediately wake up with a start. I spit out the strand of hair that was in my mouth and sit up until my back rests against the headboard of the bed. The room is still so dark, I wonder if it is still night but then I remember that the sunlight I experience every morning is artificial. 

I turn to my side and am surprised to see Lucian sleeping soundly with his back to me. 

A knock reverberates from the door to Lucian's room again and I wince afraid that it will disturb his sleep which I now know is something invaluable to him. 

I rush to the door in annoyance and jerk it open to cast a vicious sneer at the perpetrator. My eyes widen as I see our usual attendant with a trolley full of food by his side. 

"Ms Aria... I didn't mean to intrude," He stutters as he takes in my disheveled appearance. "Master Lucian usually leaves for work by now. He should have had his breakfast already. I tried knocking but I wasn't sure..."

He trails off looking like he is about to choke on his words. 

"I don't know what to do," He admits fearfully. "Master has never slept in like this."

Slept in? Did we both sleep in?

"What time is it?" I ask him in surprise. After my insomnia the night before last I did not expect to sleep a wink last night. I look behind me at Lucian who hasn't shifted in the slightest despite our conversation. 

"It's ten past the shift of the axis," He says worriedly. "Master Lucian should be in the military base by now."

I hit my forehead with the palm of my hand which earns me a startled look from the attendant. 

"Not again," I sigh realizing I had missed the morning drills for two days in a row. "Do you know where the sunlight or lights are?" 

He nods quickly and rushes into the room to switch them on. 

"Could you make it dimmer than usual?" I whisper and he does just that. The room lights up only slightly with dim grey lighting making it feel like dusk on Earth. 

"Shall I set the food?" He asks me and I nod. 

After he has finished he gives me a curt nod and exits the room swiftly leaving me with the job to wake up Lucian. 

I walk over to him and stare at his sleeping form. His face is pressed into the pillow desperately and he is hugging another pillow so tightly I wonder if he is trying to make up for lost time. 

Looking at his peaceful face, I realize I don't have the heart to wake him up and ruin this scene before me but I wonder if he will get into trouble for being tardy to work.

I shift on my feet wondering what I should do and then I decide to procrastinate and get ready to go to the training center first. 

I brush my teeth, take a quick shower and drink some water before making my way towards him again. This time I sit down next to him and feel the bed dip under me. 

Lucian shifts slightly and then I watch his eyelids flutter rapidly until they fly open and eyes the color of cold blue ice meet my gaze. 

He sits up slowly and pushes his silver hair away from his eyes. 

"Aria," He says in a tired voice. 

"Good morning, Lucian," I reply chirpily feeling oddly refreshed after having an undisturbed good night's sleep. 

"Good morning," He says as he gets up and yawns loudly. He stretches his arms out into the air and then collapses back into his pillow. 

"It's ten past the shift of the axis," I say apprehensively, unsure if I should remind him that we are both late.