Chapter 68

Once the briefing is over we leave the control room and I follow Lucian to the set of lifts. He pulls me inside and much to my dismay, Lazarus and Luna walk in as well. I lean against the wall and stare blankly at the lift doors, thinking about what is expected of me in five cycles. 

They want me to destroy half a planet. Half a civilization.

"Imagine all the bones you'll be burning to dust in a few days," Lazarus smirks at me and I turn to look at him. "The amazing Aria the Bone Breaker. You're about to become a legend."

He is smiling at me gleefully, like he'd just achieved the greatest thing ever. 

"Lazarus," Lucian suddenly speaks in the coldest tone. "Speak to her again and I will not hesitate to punch you in the face."

Lazarus's eyes widen in surprise but he is quick to recover. "Brother, you're really going to hit me for a girl? Much less a human?"

"Don't test me," Lucian stares daggers at him and if looks could kill I am certain Lazarus would be buried ten feet under by now. 

"Lucian, he's just kidding around. You know how he is," Luna says trying to diffuse the tension in the lift. She is  holding on to Lazarus's arm, looking like she is trying to tame him.

"Is he really kidding, Luna? Does he ever?" Lucian snaps at her and Lazarus leans forward in shock. 

"Comrade, what is your problem?" Lazarus frowns at Lucian looking like he'd never expected his younger childhood friend to ever talk to him like this. 

"I'm serious. Stay away from her or you will be personally responsible for what I do next," Lucian points a finger in Lazarus's face and the older Plutonian just stares at his hand, flabbergasted. 

The lift opens to the top floor and Lucian grabs my hand before walking out swiftly. The scowl on his face is still evident as he swings open the door and marches inside. He releases me and slams the door shut behind us, startling me. 

I stare at Lucian cautiously while he paces back and forth across our bedroom floor with those long legs of his. He stops suddenly and then punches the wall. A loud crack reverberates throughout the room and I jump back. 

"I'm sorry," He says suddenly with his hand resting against the wall. He releases his hand and then flexes his fingers and I stare at the small crack he created.

"You have nothing to be sorry for," I tell him in a shaky voice. I sit down on the bed, feeling exhausted and in dire need to lose myself in the comfort of those pillows. Sleep seems like the best escape right now. 

Lucian turns towards me and leans against the wall. 

"You know despite our differences, Lazarus never used to get on my nerves when we were growing up. Not as much as he does recently."

"Is it because of me?" I ask him and then gulp at the intensity of his gaze.

"He was always like this," Lucian crosses his arms over each other as he stares at me. "But I think being with you has opened my eyes to how brutal he really is. He is much worse than I pegged him to be and I'm beginning to think beyond redemption."

My palms sink into the soft sheets and I nod my head at his admission. I too believe that he is beyond saving, I don't think there is a good bone in Lazarus's entire body. 

"How do you feel about pulling that lever?" Lucian asks me softly, almost tenderly. 

I shrug my shoulders helplessly. "I have to do what I have to do, right?"

What else can I say? I know I will have to do the deed whether I like to or not. No matter how terrible it is for the Taygetians, I can't risk my loyalty being questioned. I need them to believe I am the perfect officer if I ever want to have a remote chance at saving Earth.