Chapter 35

It took one full day in the hospital for me to finally recover from the aftershock burns on my body. The wound that Leslie had inflicted on my side was surprisingly the smallest compared to my shoulder and hand and the pain from those were nothing compared to the sudden shocks I experienced every few hours paralyzing me from head to toe. 

I am lying down on my good side when a nurse comes in with a happy looking Asta. I sit up slowly when I see her and focus on the small container she holds in her hands. Asta has been missing ever since my first week as a fighter, I'd sort of forgotten about her.

Seeing her now brings back memories of my conversation with Stela and Cassandra about the paramours having handlers and Rosie telling me about the fixers who arranged lovers for the Plutonians. 

I barely know Asta and she's been nice to me so far but the little that I do know about her put me on edge. It makes me highly suspicious of her being here especially since she hasn't really bothered about me since my first match. 

"Hi dear," She chimes in a cheerful voice as she places the green container on the table next to me. "I've brought you some powerful tonics for your health."

"Thank you." I put my weight on my elbows and sit up slowly to face her. 

"How are you feeling?" Asta drags the unused visitor chair and sits down in front of me. "You were great yesterday by the way. I bet against you to be honest but as usual you blew me away with your performance. It's like you were made for the pits." 

Her series of back handed compliments came off to me as insults instead and I shifted uncomfortably. I didn't feel the triumph of winning against Leslie yesterday and being made for the pits wasn't exactly a thing to be proud of. The truth is I couldn't wait to be done with the fights and the tiresome politics surrounding it.

I study her dark almond shaped eyes that were pinned on me wondering what was her purpose of coming here. 

"Umm thanks?" I reply after an awkward pause of silence. 

Asta stares at me for the longest time before she finally speaks. 

"I just came to check on you and to tell you how proud we humans are of you. You know being the first human to join the army after your first three matches as a fighter. The last time that happened was about a hundred years ago. It's really quite the feat and we both know you'll be nominated by your Plutonian master so your last match is really just a formality," She says and her words shock me. 

I sit up straighter now, the dull ache in my hand and shoulder just a minor irritation compared to the pain from yesterday. 

"What? You mean the last time this happened was a hundred years ago?"

"More or less. It's been very very long." She nods her head while looking at me in admiration. I wonder if she knows about Lucian undermining Leslie's confidence just a day before the match but the way she is ogling me makes it seem like she doesn't. "And the crowd absolutely loves you. The humans and Plutonian's are obsessed with you. You've become their regular poster girl."

Her words make me think of the fanatical chanting after my match. Is it true? Did they love me because I won my first three matches after becoming a fighter?

"Umm, Asta? I'm sorry but I just really need to be alone right now," I say honestly as a wave of depression washes over me.

"Okay, I understand. It must be overwhelming. I'll see you soon, Aria." Thankfully she doesn't look offended as she gets up and leaves the room but the silence that ensues does little to make me feel better.

All those years of watching the matches with the determination to be like those courageous and strong fighters feels unreal like a distant dream. I remember watching them and wanting to be exactly like them or better. I never knew the lies and the manipulation that went on behind the scenes, that the matches were manipulated and the influence of the Plutonian's was what actually mattered.