$12

After getting me all patched up, Jersey walked me to my room. She could joke all she wanted, but I could tell she genuinely cared about me. I could tell by the way she looked at me or how she carefully treated my wounds. I wasn’t expecting Jersey to be so good at doctoring, but she worked wonders. She was so gentle, and aware of every move she made, and thanks to her techniques I was feeling much better. Lucky for me, she didn’t rub this whole thing in my face. There was no I-told-you-so’s or any shady remarks. She didn’t treat me any differently, she just acted the way she usually acted; which made things comfortable rather than awkward.

That night, I got into bed, but I couldn’t sleep. I was thinking about Nicky, but not how I would normally think about her. Before I would focus on the good times, but now the bad times just kept replaying back to back in my head. All the horrible memories kept running through my mind, and I actually realized just how awful Nicky was. There was no way in hell that she loved me. She was just using me as her personal doll. I was in bed, crying and hating myself for what I allowed myself to go through time and time again. I’m not sure exactly how long I cried, but I stopped when I heard my door creak up. I sat up in my bed, and squinted my eyes as I tried to see who was sneaking in my room. “It’s just me,” the voice whispered. Usually that voice irritated me, but now it soothed me.

Jersey walked over to the bed, and got under the covers. “I thought you may need a little cuddle buddy,” she explained. I didn’t question or object her, instead I laid back down, and cuddled into her. She wrapped her arm around, and I snuggled my face into her neck. Her familiar scent invaded my nostrils as I closed my eyes. “You’ve been crying,” she stated the obvious. I sniffled, and opened my eyes. “You shouldn’t be crying. She’s not worth your tears. You should be happy that you’ve finally got away from her.”

“I know. It’s just that I can’t stop thinking about all the times…” I began but I trailed off. I couldn’t find myself to finish the sentence. Jersey shushed me before kissing my forehead. I held onto her a bit tighter and rested my head on her shoulder. Oddly enough, I was thankful for Jersey, for once. She may be annoying sometimes but she was a life saver. She gave me a place to stay when I didn’t have one. She gave me advice even when I wasn’t even listening to her. Now, she was comforting me after I learned from the mistake of not listening to her, and Alfie. Jersey may act like a hardass, but behind all that, she has big heart. I can see it, even if no one else can.

The next morning, I woke up when Jersey slowly sat up. I sat up, too, and looked over towards Jersey, only to find myself staring at her back. She was sitting with her legs over the bed, and it seemed as if she was trying to rub all of the sleep out of her eyes. “Thank you for last night,” I said, and she turned back to look at me. She looked absolutely tired, as if she hadn’t got any sleep last night. I frowned, and I was about to question if she even went to sleep last night, but she gave me a smile, and all my worries flew away.

“It’s no problem. Are you going to work today,” she asked as she stood up from the bed. The girl stretched as she stumbled over to one of the large windows to look out at the view of the city. “You don’t have to go if you don’t want to. But, I don’t think it’s a good idea to just sit in your room and sulk. I smiled a bit at Jersey, and shrugged my shoulders.

“I’m feeling much better now. Thanks to you. You could’ve kicked me out in the rain last night, but you didn’t. You didn’t judge me, and you even cuddled me last night so I could actually get some sleep. I don’t think I’ll be doing much sulking, and I think going to work will be ideal.” A little smirk played on the tattooed girl’s face as she stared at me in those lime green boxers she was wearing. I swear, the things were going to blind me. They were brighter than the sun that was shining in through the windows. “What are you smirking at?”