$34

I showed up on Finley's doorstep a little bit before eleven to babysit Rumor. After knocking a few times, the door opened and Finley was standing in front of me. She was dressed as if she was ready to head out at any moment. "Hey," she said before stepping aside so I could walk in. I walked into her suburban home and looked around. "Rumor's upstairs. I actually need to talk to you before I go." I walked into her house and she closed the door behind me. Finley pointed over to the couch before walking over it. I followed her and sat down beside her.

"What's up? You're not making these funeral arrangements by yourself, are you," I asked with my brows scrunched. I never had to bury anyone close to me, but the duty to do so sounds extremely stressful. I doubt she could handle all of that by her lonesome. "Does Rumor know yet or are you not ready to tell her?" Finley stared at me for a while before looking down at her hands.

"Beck's mother and Jade are helping me out. I'm waiting for Jade to come over so we can head out. Nancy's supposed to meet us at the morgue, but I doubt we can agree on anything. His mother never liked me. She's probably going to try control everything as usual," Finley replied. She covered her face with her hands. It seemed as if she had a lot on her mind. I wish I could help her relieve some stress, but I had no idea how I could help her. In a desperate attempt to make her feel better, I placed my hand on her back and began rubbing it slowly. "When it comes to Rumor, I just can't gather up the courage to tell her. She was asking for Beck earlier this morning, but I made up a stupid lie about how he was called into work. She was pretty down, but she cheered up when I told her you was going to babysit her since I had to do 'adult' business." There was a knock on the door and Finley stood up. "That must be Jade. I better go."

"Wait, you said that you needed to talk to me. Was that it?" There was a louder knock on the door and Rumor began walking down the stairs.

"Uh, yeah," Finley said before running towards the door.

"Hey, Zenny," Rumor said before she ran up to me. She hugged my legs and I looked over towards the door. Jade peeked her head through the door and began to say something to me, but Finley pulled her back outside quickly. I brushed off their weird behavior and looked down at the excited little girl. "Can we go get ice cream!? You promised me ice cream!"

"It's a bit too early for ice cream, huh? We can go get ice cream later," I told her before sitting down on the couch. Finley already had cartoons playing on the flat screen TV for Rumor. Currently, Dora the Explorer was playing and I was already getting a headache from the singing map. I hated Dora. I hated Boots. I hated everything about the show but the fox. Swiper was the only character that got my attention. It sucked that he could never complete his missions of ruining Dora and her friends' day though. Maybe one day, they'll finally make an episode where he conquers.

Rumor jumped on the couch and sat down beside me. She crossed her legs and gave me a huge grin. "Fine, but only if you do something for me." I looked at the four year old and furrowed my brows. "I want to know why Mommy left." I bit my lower lip, not sure of how to answer the little girl. One thing for sure, I couldn't tell her that her father was dead. She wouldn't understand, and Finley would hate me if I dropped the bad news on her daughter. I'm sure Finley was the one who wanted to explain what happened to Beck to Rumor, but only when the time was right. "She said she had 'grown-up' chores."

"I don't know where your mommy went, but I'm sure she is doing 'grown-up' chores," I replied simply. Rumor shook her head at me and I frowned at her. "What? Maybe she had to go to the doctor, or maybe she had to pay bills."

"It's Sunday," the clever girl quipped. "Mommy doesn't go to the doctors on Sundays. She goes every Friday." I gave Rumor a puzzled look. Why in the hell did Finley have to go see a doctor every Friday? "Oops, I shouldn't have told you that."