$17

“Jesus! You take forever to get ready,” Jersey yelled through the bedroom door. I was ready but I was just applying a bit of makeup. Last time I met Jersey’s family, it wasn’t a big deal. But now, she was introducing me as her girlfriend, her first girlfriend, at that. I needed to look presentable. The bedroom door opened, and I peered over to see Jersey standing at the doorframe. She gave me a look as I continued applying my mascara. “You don’t need to put all of that makeup on,” she said.

“I want to look good for your parents,” I replied simply. Jersey walked over to me, and looked into the mirror I was looking in. She wrapped her arms around me from behind, and rested her face on my shoulders. Her eyes were peering up from behind my shoulders as she looked at me in the mirror. I finished applying my makeup and let out a bit of a sigh. “Do I look okay?”

“Beautiful,” Jersey stated simply before kissing my shoulder. She unwrapped her arms from around me and linked her arm with mine. “Are you ready to go? Gavin’s coming with, as usual.” I nodded my head. I couldn’t wait to see Gavin’s reaction to the news. When we got in the car, for the first time ever, I got to sit in the passenger seat; since Jersey instructed Gavin to sit in the back.

“Why do I have to sit in the bloody back,” he complained, his voice raising in octaves. “I’ve known you longer. I should have all rights to the passenger seat! You haven’t even known Finley for a bloody month.” Gavin wasn’t seriously pissed about being in the back. He just wanted to get Jersey riled up. I laughed at his complaining, and turned around in the passenger seat, just to stick my tongue out at him. Gavin grabbed my tongue, and I yelped. Jersey smacked Gavin’s hand away as she kept her eyes on the road.

“Don’t abuse my girlfriend, you British bitch,” Jersey scolded Gavin. All of a sudden, Gavin let out a high-pitched squeal that had scared the hell out of me.

“Girlfriend!?” The boy began making obscene, loud noises and began saying words so close together that I couldn’t even comprehend what he was saying.

“Come again,” I asked.

“You two are dating,” he yelled. “Does Alfie know?!”

“Not yet.”

“I can’t believe bloody Jersey has a girlfriend,” he said in disbelief. “And she’s actually hot!”

“Hey,” Jersey yelled from behind the wheel.

“What? You don’t want me complimenting your girlfriend?” I blushed at the emphasis that Gavin put on the word.

“Shut the hell up, Gavin, before I kick you out of the damn car.” Gavin just giggled like a schoolboy and covered his mouth to stop himself from talking. I chuckled at his childish behavior, but Jersey seemed to be quite annoyed. It wasn’t long until we got to Jersey’s parents’ house. Unlike last time, it seemed like a lot of people wasn’t there. There were only three cars parked out in the driveway. Jersey pulled up, and I found myself shaking from nervousness. I don’t know why I was so nervous. Her parents were nice and I was sure they would be happy from the announcement, but I was still a bit timid. “You’ll be fine,” Jersey reassured me. We got out of the car, and began walking towards the front door of the house. The girl turned the knob without even knocking and walked in. “I’m here,” she yelled to the top of her lungs.

All of a sudden, Luna cut around the corner in a sprint, and tackled Jersey straight down to floor. She held a paper in her hand and waved it in front of Jersey’s face. “Look,” she exclaimed as the girl under her groaned. Jersey reluctantly snatched the paper out of Luna’s hand and examined it. Her eyebrows rose as she read the paper and then a huge smile spread across her face.