$39

I reread the letter a couple of times. Morgan was getting out? That was great and all, but it was also stressful. I had to catch her up on so many things, especially since she wanted to stay with me. She knew that I had breast cancer, but she still didn’t know that Beck had passed away. I hadn’t had time to write her with the funeral arrangements and with Zen coming into my life. I folded the letter and looked over to Rumor, who had syrup all over her face. I laughed at her and she gave me a worrying look. “What,” she asked with a mouth full of pancakes. I grabbed a paper towel and damped it up with water from the faucet before cleaning her face. “Thanks, mommy,” she said before giving me an adorable smile. “Can we do something fun today?”

“I don’t know, sweetheart. I have to get this place cleaned. It’s like a junkyard,” I said as I looked around the kitchen. It’s been a couple of days since I’ve really cleaned anything. Thanks to Zen, the dishes were washed, but everything else was in horrible condition. “Maybe if I had a little helper, I could get this place cleaned very quickly.” I wiggled my eyebrows at Rue, but she acted like she didn’t notice. She hated cleaning, but it’s not like there was much she had to do. Since, she was so small, all I asked her to do was dust off things. “Are you going to make me beg you, ladybug?” Rumor kept eating as if I didn’t even exist. “I’ll give you a dollar,” I sang to her.

“Deal,” she said quickly. “But first I need a nap.”

“But you just woke up.”

“A princess needs her sleep,” she said mocking something Beck had already told her.

I smiled half-heartedly. “Okay, but only for thirty minutes then it’s cleaning time.”

I let Rumor take her little nap, but woke her up as soon as her thirty minutes were over. We cleaned upstairs first, and then made our way downstairs. I was just about exhausted by the time we were done. “Now, I think it’s time for mommy to take a nap,” I told Rumor, who had already found herself a place in front of the TV. I began to sit down on the couch, but the doorbell rang before I could. I groaned, wondering who was at my door. I walked over to the door and peeked through the peephole. Through the little hole, I could see Zen standing and looking down at her shoes. She was wearing a white oversized Los Angeles Clippers jersey that showed off the tattoos on her collarbone and arms. Her pants were slim and black, and her sneakers matched the colors of that were in her jersey: white, blue, and red. I opened the door and she instantly looked up. “Hey, Zen,” I said with a smile. Zen gave me a gorgeous smile back and then reached in her back pocket. She held out three little pieces of paper, and I took them from her to examine them. “Universal Studios Hollywood?”

Zen cleared her throat awkwardly before shoving her hands into her pockets. “I thought it’d be fun, you know? Rumor would enjoy herself, and you and I can catch up some. It’s only about thirty minutes away. Val and I go to either Disney World, Sea World or Universal Studios like every month. She’s down in the dumps today, and she’s boring when she’s sick,” she explained. I stared at her for a while, and her lips twitched a bit and turned down into a frown. “If you’re busy, it’s fine. I shouldn’t have just brought the tickets without asking. I mean, it only cost five hundred and eighty seven dollars plus tax.” Zen gently took the tickets from my hand. “I’m sure there’s some family of three at a gas station nearby that’ll love to have these.” She turned around and began walking away.

I bit my lower lip before calling her back. “Wait, Zen!” She turned around and I gave her a soft smile. “It’s sweet of you to ask, but didn’t you say that Val was sick? Shouldn’t you be taking care of her? I just don’t want her getting mad if she finds out that you were with me rather than taking care of her.” Zen walked in front of the stairs, and she fondled with the tickets in her hands.