True Love Doesn't Hurt

(A/N: Full disclosure, this one shot is NOT Finchel friendly. Like at all. It's a Smytheberry story. And there is some discussion of domestic abuse as well. If that isn't something you'd like to read I totally understand. Inspired by the song above, 'Something Crazy' by Franky Perez. 💞 Shann)

It's Saturday morning. 

10:15am. 

Sebastian walks into the Cozy Cafe, a quaint little spot in Brooklyn like he does every Saturday at this time of day.

This tradition started a few years ago, when he finally got on good terms with his past and some of the people from it.

Really he should blame Anderson.  Blaine's the one who forced him to get his head out of his ass. That even he needed friends in the city.

Which lead to meetups with him and Hummel. Then eventually her.

Her...

A habit he's kept up even now, much again because of Blaine's peer pressure.

Suck it up dude, you like her. As in like like her. Plus she's gonna need someone to look after her once we're in the suburbs.

So here he is. Another Saturday morning that he won't admit he waits all week to get to. One he thinks about constantly until the next time as well.

Because he doesn't.

A cursory glance around the room and he sees her back at their usual table. The one in the corner, where she can keep a keen eye on the door and no one can sneak up behind her. Small hands already toying with her cup, eyes glued to the table.

Sebastian can already tell that this isn't going to be one of her good days so he makes sure to order a few of those vegan cupcakes she likes in addition to his usual coffee order.

She still hasn't looked up by the time he reaches their table, and he knows better than to sit down without announcing himself first. Especially when she isn't looking up at him.  So he puts on a cheerful voice, with only a trace of flirtation in it.

"Sorry I'm a little late, but I brought sweets for my favorite girl."

His heart breaks just a little when she looks up at him with those big brown eyes, watery and rimmed in red.  A fresh bruise blooming around her right one.  Internally he is fuming as he slips into the empty seat across from her.

Her necklace catches the light, illuminating the name of THAT bastard as she reaches for one of the cupcakes with the gold stars on them

That fucking asshole!! How can he hurt this sweet angel of a girl??

Sebastian contains his inner ire as the girl across the table gives him one of her thousand watt smiles, her voice soft and sweet.  And he melts a little inside.

"Thank you so much, Bastian.  You always know how to cheer me up."

He reaches across the table to grab her free hand, interlacing their fingers together.

"Anything for you, Ma Belle."

A faint blush colors her cheeks as she tries to avert her eyes some but he squeezes her hand gently so that she looks into his eyes, brown meeting green.  And slowly, cautiously, he brotches the subject.

"So tell me sweet Rachie-girl, what was his excuse this time?  And don't say it was your fault because you and I both know that it wasn't."

Rachel sighs, pushing the plate of sweets aside.  She runs a hand through her hair all the while still holding on to his with her other like her life depending on it.  Because it kind of does.

Voice barely above a whisper when she finally speaks.

"I....  I burned dinner last night.  Or at least he said I did.  I don't know, you know I don't eat meat.  It looked like it was done properly to me.  I don't see why he wouldn't just eat the quinoa pilaf and marinated mushrooms I made myself instead of having me make something special just for him.  But he was drinking again and said I did it wrong.  Picked up the plate and threw it at the wall before he pushed me across the room.  I....  I hit my face off the corner of the counter when I fell."

Sebastian's green eyes flash as he struggles to control his anger.  He can't let her see him get upset like this.  Not with everything she's been through.  That she keeps going through.

"Pretty Girl, you DIDN'T do anything wrong.  You and I both know that he doesn't appreciate you.  We....  we need to get you out of this.  You know that.  I'll be there to help you, always.  I've got plenty of room in the penthouse, a whole room we can decorate just the way you like it.  And I can help you get a restraining order so he will never bother you again.  I promise..."

She takes a small sip of her soy latte.

"Bassy, you'd really do that for me?  You're not afraid of him?"

"Rach, listen to me.  He is a coward.  You're perfect, you're my dream girl.  I'd do ANYTHING to keep you safe.  ANYTHING.  To keep you happy."

Rachel nods slightly, taking a deep breath.

"I....  I want to leave him.  He's....  He's supposedly at work until 7, which means he's actually at one of his girlfriend's apartments for most of the day.  Can you help me move now??"

Sebastian nods, voice solemn, sincere and soft.

"Anything for you, Princess.  Anything..."