Three ✔

The next morning, the persistent rain outside continues its rhythmic dance against the windows. I glance at my phone, noting the missed calls and texts from Dr. Smith. Concern tugs at the edges of my thoughts, prompting me to return his call.

"Hello, Uncle," I say, my tone casual.

"Victoria! Finally, I've been trying to reach you all night. Is everything okay?" his voice carries a mix of relief and worry.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I must have left my phone on silent. I made it home alright last night. The storm was quite intense, so I decided to stay in," I reply, deliberately omitting the events that unfolded within the walls of my home.

There's a brief pause on the other end of the line. "I'm glad to hear you're safe. I was worried when I couldn't reach you. The weather was really something last night."

"Yes, it was. I appreciate your concern, uncle. I'll be back at the hospital later today," I assure him.

"Good to hear. Take care, Victoria. Let me know if you need anything," he says before we exchange goodbyes, and I end the call.

As I set the phone down, a sense of relief washes over me. The decision to keep Christian's presence a secret from Dr. Smith weighs on my conscience, but for now, it feels like the right choice. The rain outside continues to cascade, concealing the unusual events that unfolded in the quiet hours of the night.

I'm about to step around to open the window and allow fresh air to enter, when a shadow rises behind me. Before I can react, I'm slammed into the wall, air escaping my lungs with a loud oomph.

Something solid and painful is pressed into my windpipe.

No. No, no, no.

My lungs are filled with water. Heart rate increased to a painful thumping, threatening to crash through my ribs and fall to the floor.

I squeeze my eyes shut with a force that shoots stars into my vision.

"Who are you? The truth this time. Who was on the fucking phone?"

The deep voice floats around my ears, forcing its way into my brain and breaking the surface of the water, sending ripples of fear through my body.

Fuck, I should have called the cops instantly.

I open my mouth to answer but the sound dies in my throat before it has the chance to fall past my lips. I swallow hard, trying to calm the raging storm in my mind.

"I asked you a question," Ice drips from his emotionless voice, the exact opposite of the warm air that fans the side of my cheek, causing a small flinch to rattle through my shaking body. "I expect an answer."

"Who are you?" He repeats his question in English, a threat lingering behind the steel of his tone.

I force my laboured breathing to calm slightly. Slowly cracking open my eyes, I have to blink a few times to clear my vision.

I swallow.

"V-Victoria. Victoria Forbes."

The arm positioned at my throat eases a bit, enough to let oxygen reach my lungs, but not loosening to the point where I can move.

Standing there, caged in by his massive body, I contemplate whether it would have been wiser to keep him somewhere else; a place where he wouldn't have the chance to murder me with the flick of a wrist. A hospital perhaps. Or a prison.

His lips curve into a taunting smile.

I don't react.

"Who are you working for?" He asks.