Seventeen ✔

I'm surprised my feet haven't walked grooves into the wooden floor yet. The nervousness had started with the occasional twitch, soon turning into fidgeting and then pacing my Uncle's spacious living room.

After finding the second note of the day, I had called him in a frenzie and told him about my car. My beautiful car. My jumbled mind had begged me to tell him everything, from strange men showing up at my home to them threatening me with... death? The notes make it almost impossible to know what their true meaning is. Black roses symbolise death, don't they?

But red one's are a sign of love, passion. How can one combine these two concepts without cancelling the other out?

A hammer pounds into my skull and my knees buckle slightly, forcing my body to sit back on the couch.

I couldn't tell my Uncle. He would only worry, call the police and unintentionally make my life even more difficult. No, I can deal with this on my own. I had, however, gladly accepted when he offered for me to stay at his place for a little while, at least until we know who vandalized my car. My Uncle has a large house, even though he lives alone now, having been divorced for some time.

The sound of my phone ringing has me jumping up, quickly retrieving it from my purse.

"Hello?"

"Hi sweetie. How are you doing?"

I'm relieved to hear my Uncle's reassuring voice filter through the speaker, calming my nerves a little.

"I'm alright, Uncle. Just a little tired is all." Understatement of the year. "Have you found anything?"

"That's actually why I'm calling. We looked at the hospital's CCTV to see if the incident was recorded," he takes a deep breath and my hope starts to sink, even before he speaks again. "It's gone. The time frame in which it must have happened was deleted."

A stone settles in the pit of my stomach. How?

"I don't know how it happened, it could have been a system failure. Which would be an unlikely but possible coincidence."

This so wasn't a coincidence.

"I'm sure it was. It was probably some stupid prank." I do my best to sound optimistic, knowing deep down that this was the farthest thing from a stupid prank."I'll get my car fixed and then be on my way."

"Are you sure, darling? You know you're always welcome to stay as long as you need."

I can't help but smile slightly, "I know, thank you. But I should also get back to my house, check if everything's in order there."

"Alright, at least stay until tomorrow. It's dark out and your car should be fixed by then."

I hesitate for a moment, "I will, thank you. I really appreciate this."

"Yeah, well. What on earth am I here for if not to help out where I can." He pauses for a moment and his voice is gentle when he speaks again, "especially since your parents. You know I feel responsible for you."

I swallow, refusing to let the water trail from my eyes.

"I know, but that's in the past. Where it should be." I take a deep breath before speaking what's been on my mind ever since the ball. "What was that man talking to you about? Yesterday at the ball, a tall, dark haired young man. Just before your speech..." My words trail off into silence as I let my Uncle think back.

He hums in thought, "Yes, I recall the conversation. He was asking about anonymous donations--"

"What do you mean by donations?"