FIFTY-TWO

"We're scared to be lonely."

Dua lipa

...

...

I open my eyes only to be blinded by the sun. I blink trying to regain my vision. I'm still near the lake, sitting between Christian's legs, who's still asleep with his back against the bench.

"Christian? Wake up," I gently stroke his face.

"I'm up," he whispers hoarsely.

"Let's go inside and get some rest," I tell him. "Last night was very trying. We're both exhausted."

I get up and help him up too.

He stretches and picks up his suit jacket from the ground. I watch him close his eyes and exhale, then he looks at me as if he doesn't believe I'm still here.

"What's wrong?" I question him.

He sighs and shakes his head, laughing humorlessly, "Just can't believe you're still here."

"You should have explained it to me, Christian. What you did was totally out of question."

"I know. I panicked..." He struggles for words. "I'm so sorry, baby."

I stand on my tiptoes and chastely kiss his lips, then pull a little back so I can talk to him. "You hurt me, Christian. You are the person I least expect it from. I thought if you're doing this to me just hours after proposing. What will you do if we get married?"

He hugs me close to his chest, "I'm going to make it up to you for the rest of our lives, Victoria. I can't live without you."

"I love you," I tighten my arms around him.

"I love you, baby, so so much."

• • •

"So everything okay between you two, right?" Amara asks for the hundredth time.

I laugh, "Yes, Amara. We're totally fine, though he has a lot of making up to do."

"I'll whoop his ass if he doesn't."

I give her a mock glare, "You're not allowed to touch that ass."

She raises her hands up, giggling.

"Where is Christian anyway?" She asks.

"Work."

"What are they doing about Matteo?"

"They are keeping us girls out of it. Their tech guy, Luciano? I think. They are working with him to track that son of a bitch," I sip my wine.